Skip to main content
Topic: Forum window close script not working, after message post? (Read 11618 times) previous topic - next topic

Forum window close script not working, after message post?

Lately, I have noticed that after I post a message here, the confirmation window javascript close no longer works. It used to. Could it be Firefox, or XP-SP2, or something else?

Re: Forum window close script not working, after message post?

Reply #1
I, too, have a similar problem and I have wondered about the cause.

I find that I must exit the forum and then re-open the site (as in a new visit) in order to return after making a post or reply.

Suggestions, anyone?

Reply #2
Haven't experienced that at all...

Reply #3
And it works on the NWC2 forum also.

Reply #4
I'm on Win98 using IE6.  No problem at my end in closing a reply to a message.  I can't remember initiating a message recently, so I can't comment on the closing behaviour for that.

Reply #5
Debo wrote:
"I find that I must exit the forum and then re-open the site (as in a new visit) in order to return after making a post or reply."

I used to have this problem (no longer) a way around it, if you suspect it is going to happen, is not the try to close it, but use the minimise button, carry on in the forum then after exiting close the minimised window.

HTH
Tina

Reply #6
If some users have it and other's dont, then it may have something to do with system security or browser setup - which will vary from user to user. No big deal. I can always use the back button a couple of times, and continue from there.

Reply #7
One other thought: It may also have to do with the way Firefox is set up to put new windows in tabs, or in the same window, etc.

Reply #8
Test

Reply #9
Works under XP Pro SP2, Mozilla Suite 1.7.5

Reply #10
test

Reply #11
Works with Firefox 1.0.1 too.

Reply #13
Works with IE 6.0.2900.2180 as well.

Reply #14
The above plants were me testing with various browsers. (Apium graveolens, both the root and the leaves cooked with olive oil, is a treat and Petroselinum crispum's juice is probably the best natural cure for diabetis. Have the plant itself raw or with your salad.) I noticed that user bios are hidden to the non logged in.

Reply #15
Could be anything. It is consistent. I have a lot of security software, so there could be an interaction. It may also have something to do with one of the browser extensions (optional) for Firefox. I notice that the response after post is not in a pop-up or new window.

Reply #16
I'll bet is has something to do with the fact that you wrote
...and other's dont
rather than
...and others don't...

Reply #17
Back to my original question... Using Firefox, I am having the message post interface appear in a new tab, rather than in a popup window. That may be why it doesn't "close" upon command. All I have to do is manually close the tab.

Reply #18
I have window.close() code in my other web applications and it works fine in IE...but not in Firefox. I believe it's the browser because I have both browsers on the same machine so my security service pack and antivirus/spyware/etc would affect both browsers the same.

Reply #19
test

Reply #20
test

Reply #21
test

Reply #22
test

Reply #23
Maybe you had Javascript disabled. It worked fine for me in Firefox.

Reply #24
In Firefox, it depends on your tab configuration (options) and on whether or not you have the tab browser extension installed. Nothing wrong with the script, it is how Firefox handles it according to your own directions. If the window doesn't close, it is either because (a) it was loaded in a new tab, not a window, or (b) you told firefox to re-cycle the existing window for any new windows.

Reply #25
Exactly.

In some circumstances, some browsers will not permit the browser window to be closed via a Javascript button. We could solve this on our end by turning the Reply button into a Javascript controlled window, but we have opted not to do this (thus far).

Reply #26
turning the Reply button into a Javascript controlled window
Please don't. If you do, the button won't work at all with Javascript disabled.

Reply #27
...and worse, we couldn't post through i-Mode on some phones :-(

Reply #28
Testing it