Skip to main content
Topic: MIDI and Sound Fonts (Read 2301 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI and Sound Fonts

I have downlaoded many pieces from the NWC scriotorium. some are say, Bach's Organ Works. One that comes to mind is his "Little" Fugue in g- when I played back the file, the upper and lower manual sou dexd like a marimba, or glockenspiel, or whatever, and the pedal like a Harpsicord, or Dulcimer. I went to the MIDI control and changed the indtrument to Church, or Pipe Organ. What I got; however, was a Pipe Organ superimposed upon the marimba for the manuals and just the Harpsicord for the Pedal. How do I change the MIDI instrukents, to just Pipe Organ. Also, i've been composing a quartet. I want Recorder, Flute, Clarinet, and Bass Clarinet. 2 problems: 1- I started composing, then went to the first staff, and changed the MIDI inddrument to Recorder, and it cahnged all the staves to recorder, even when I changed the MIDI instruments to what I wanted, as per above. 2-where do I find instruments such as Alto, Tenor, and Bass Recorder, Alto and Bass Flute, Bass and Contrabass Clarniet, Contrabasson, Oboe d'Amore, Viol de gamba, Violone, etc.? Last question: once I've downloaded the Jeux file where do I download it to, and how do i get that instrument to be used as a MIDI instrrument- in other words, how do I compose Organ music, or download organ music, and get it to playback using that MIDI sound.

P.S. What's the best method for typesetting and arranging traditional Slavic Orthodox Chant, with all the recitatives?

P.S.S. How do I load jeux and similar fonts on a laptop, without a sound card? at least, I don't think it has a sound card.

Thanks for any help ya'll can be!
Philip

Re: MIDI and Sound Fonts

Reply #1
With the 1st question, I'm guessing that there are hidden staves. Unhide them by going to "Page Setup" and the "Contents" tab, tick all of the staves and change those that need to be changed.

With the 2nd question, again only a guess, but I think the problem is that they share the same MIDI Channel. Make seperate Channels by going to "Staff Properties" (F2) and the "MIDI" tab.

"P.S." Not sure.
"P.S.S" You can find a program that installs soundfonts to MIDI's without the need of a soundcard, and it uses the computers RAM, instead of the soundcard. It can be found here: http://www.synthfont.com/

Re: MIDI and Sound Fonts

Reply #2
Off the top of my head...  Could there be two layered staffs (staves?) and you only changed the instrument for one?