Skip to main content
Topic: really basic question (Read 1958 times) previous topic - next topic

really basic question

I honestly cannot figure out how to add a staff which would be played after the preceding staves. All the staves I add are played at the same time. I want to group the staves so that two play at a time and then the next two down would play after. Basically I want it to play how you would play sheet music. Can anyone help me?

Re: really basic question

Reply #1
Well, yes. There are two options. One is quite tricky - add a bar with a whole rest before all staves, and repeat this bar of rest for the staves that you want to play later on, while the bars that you want to play first should have a non-repeated rest. That works, but why should you want that?
I have an example of such an .nwc file, and I can mail it to you so you can see what I mean.

On the other hand, why do you not simply continue on the two staves? That should be exactly what you want! If you want instrument changes, insert them; if you want clef changes, insert them, and so on! Remember, what you see on the screen is NOT what gets printed. Try the Print Preview to see what I mean.

Come to think of it, maybe you do not have a problem at all. Enter two staves as far as the eye can see, or for as many bars as you have notes, whichever comes first, and then Print. It will, quite probably, be precisely what you want.