Skip to main content
Topic: Getting a Piano Score Automatically from a four-part vocal score (Read 4842 times) previous topic - next topic

Getting a Piano Score Automatically from a four-part vocal score

Can I and if so, how do I *condense* a four-part SATB or, say, a TTBB vocal score with four staves automatically to a two-staved regular piano score for rehersing acappella songs? I really don't know if it is even possible.

Re: Getting a Piano Score Automatically from a four-part vocal score

Reply #1
Try layering the first and third staffs with the second and fourth, respectively.  You can easily turn all the stems up on staffs 1 and 3 and down on staffs 2 and 4.  Set the staff properties style to upper and lower grand staff.

Reply #2
By the way, staff properties are adjusted very easily by moving to the particular staff then pressing F2.

Reply #3
Upon lookN for a verrrrry easy notation program, I stumbled on this site. I beleive I want to do what Leungehung wants to do (seen in an earlier post), Play the keyboard and have the notes noted (in four vocal parts) on the graph in real time.

Will NoteWorthy do this tasK? Or can you suggest sumting easier.

Thanks in advance!
Robin

Reply #4
I tied to layer the staves and it didn't really work or maybe I was doing it wrong. I went to the top stave, went to properties, selected Upper Grand Staff, and checked the layering box and did the same for the next one down (the tenor 2 stave) except I selected Lower Grand Staff and pressed okay and it did not seem to work, there were still two seperate staves and they were connected at every measure like Grands should be. Also I tried setting the two lower staves (bass and baritone)as Lower Grands and the opposite for the top two and I checked the Layer with next stave box for all four  and they were all still separate staves. Can you further help me. Thanks.

Reply #5
What I would do is completely different.  First save the score as a type 0 MIDI file.  Then import the MIDI file using defaults on step one, uncheck the only check box in step two, and then next, next, finish.  Now you have a piano part.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #6
John, you not only have to check "layer with next staff" for each staff you want to layer, but you have to click "allow layering" on  File==>Page Setup==>Contents==>Allow Layering. This makes it very easy to unlayer all layered staffs for editing.

Reply #7
Allow Layering can also be toggled from the dropdown View menu.

Reply #8
thanks so much.  I finally figured it out and it worked.