Skip to main content
Topic: The Release(asking when) (Read 10915 times) previous topic - next topic

The Release(asking when)

People of this site,,, hear my plea... NWC 2 Is beautiful and it's changed so muhc the way we all go about our days of music composing... please..... if you have any kind of sympathy,,, give us a hint.. when will it be released.. like... spring of 2005 or something like that... anything...it's been so quiet and I'm itching to know!!!

*This is not an annoucement saying the release date,, it is only asking for any kind of hope that it will be released soon, it's beautiful!

-John

Re: The Release(asking when)

Reply #1
Spring 2005!  September!!  Surely we won't have to wait that long!!!

Reply #2
We've already been waiting since 2004-05-28 12:55:10.
(see http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/news/23.htm)

Note: ...ready for general release in late October of 1994.
This year marks the tenth anniversary...

So maybe NWC2 will be ready for general release in late October of 2004.
After all, music is all about the timing...

Reply #3
NWC 2 Public Preview 1a is fully functional.  If history is anything to go by, once version 2 is officially released, Eric and his staff will tweak it as the need arises.  I don't know why there's a concern. What am I not aware of?

Reply #4
Some of us are not allowed to get the preview version.
We have to wait (and wait) for the official release.

Reply #5
If you're not a registered user of NWC1.x, I see your point.  You don't have to be out of the game, though, if you subscribe to version 1.75b.  It'll only cost you US$39 -go here for details:
http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/order.htm#package

If I understand the information on that page and on http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/replace.htm you will receive the CD with 1.75b on it.  If you already were a registered user and just hadn't upgraded to 1.75b, it will cost you $15 to upgrade

Just install 1.75b from the CD, and then download the NWC2 public preview for free.  You will have a licence for version 2 at no extra cost, or as the website says:

"Anyone who purchases version 1.75b directly from NoteWorthy Software will be granted a license to download and use version 2 when it is released."

Presto! you will then have a fully functional version 2 while only having paid for version 1.

If you wait, you might get stuck paying whatever NWC decides its version 2 price will be for new customers.

I'd say that a worst case scenario is you will end up spending (39 + 15) = $54 for a fully functional upgrade, and more likely it will only cost you $39.  Go for it. You'll be glad you did.

Reply #8
"Me" should be sent to bed without his supper or something.  Those who administer this forum have been very indulgent to allow this child's infantile outbursts to go on this long.  And, "Me": the process David Palmquist described is how the rest of us got NWC2.  Why that's not good enough for you says that you are likely spoiled, self-centred, and a bad little boy altogether.  So, as you are on your way up to bed, maybe you can at least get some comfort out of the fact that, though you'll do without your supper, you'll at least be doing without the lima beans.

Reply #9
WHY DO PEOPLE ALWAYS LIKE TO SAY "NO DINNER/SUPPER" OR GO TO BED EARLY AS A CONSEQUENCE???!!! WHYYYYY!!!!

Reply #10
iF yOU kEeP saYIng iM sPoILed, YOu WIlL ONLy SEe MOre CuRSiNg WOrdS!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Reply #11
IF YOU KEEP SAYING I'M SPOILED, YOU WILL ONLY SEE MORE CURSING WORDS!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Reply #12
Hmm... It's been a while since I checked out my post and I've noticed that people have wondered the same thing.. I am a registered user. I'm just looking forward to the new one out because personally it's a powerful program. Let's all hope it will soon be released late october, if not I'm gonna go crazy! lol.

Reply #13
I need it really soon also.
I gotta print up my Christmas music so we can start rehearsing.
I don't care for the slurs in v1, so I'd rather use v2.
I hope it comes out soon...

Reply #14
Refer to my Reply 5 above. The public preview is available for a minimal cost, and it is fully functional.

As NWC says somewhere on this site, Version 2 is going through an extensive development process.  I know that the process started before October 2002.

What I'm saying is, don't hold your breath waiting for the final version to be released.  NWC isn't going to give any hints ahead of time (they never do), it may be a long while yet, and the new version likely won't be much different than the now-available public preview.

You will find the existing public preview version much better than version 1.75.  I have used version 2 to make scores and parts for around 40 big band charts already and I'm very happy with it.

There are a few limitations, but there are workarounds for most of them.

Reply #15
DAVID!!!, PLEASE *STOP* TALKING ABOUT THE MONEY!!!

SHUT UP!!!!!

Reply #16
Well, late October of 2004 has come and gone.
You guys are such teases...

Reply #17
They sure like to Tease.. I really enjoy NWC 2.. how about this.. is there a batch converter what will convert all of my NWC 1.75b files into the 2.0?

Reply #18
Not yet, but it's not necessary.  When you open the 1.75 version song in version 2, if you don't save it, you still have your 1.75 version.  If you do save it, it will automatically become a version 2 file.

The nice thing is that version 2 will read anything created in a lower version, you just can't save in the lower versions.

Reply #19
I think what John means is that if you do have a batch
converter, you need not open your files one by one,
then save in 2.0. Of course, to me, this makes a lot
of sense if:
1. you are not using NWC1.75 anymore, and
2. you only have a handful of compositions.
Just imagine the effort you need, opening and saving each
and every file, just to get them saved in v2.0...

Reply #20
But there's no need to do any conversion, ever.  If song #992 sits on your hard-drive for 5 years before you need it, you can open it then in version 2.  It will automatically save in version 2 when you save the file.

There's no need to convert any files to version 2 until and unless you want to enhance it with some of the version 2 features.  I don't think a batch converter would make any sense in that situation.  It isn't like trying to convert an incompatible file type, say *.mus, into *.nwc.

Reply #21
David,
I perfectly understand your point. However, some features
make a lot of sense to some, and not to others. I've tried
to point out my view, and you have yours. Bottomline is,
if we have a batch converter, we can use it as and when
we need it. I've started using NWC v1.75. Since NWC beta v
don't have 'Save As vX.Y', my impression is that when v2.0
will be released, it will overwrite the older version(s)
when it is installed. This will mean that _all_ your files,
once opened in v2.0, will be saved in v2.0. If you happen
to still have in a 2nd PC (allowed in the agreement) v1.75x,
then you can't open the file already saved in v2.0. This,
I believe, will be a problem. Then, we also have a lot of
features released with v2.0 that is not supported in v1.75x.
Whatever, there is an inter-version issue that will arise.
Anybody tried using v2.0, export to MIDI, then open up in
v1.75x? Was it able to 're-capture' those features available
in v2.0 correctly?

Reply #22
Thank you for taking the time to explain the problem.  I hadn't thought about the second computer issue.

I think the licence allows installation on two machines provided it is never in use on both at the same time.

Nevertheless, you might want to share the originals with someone else, so even the liberal licence doesn't solve that problem.

Version 2 is not downwardly compatible, so I agree you will never be able to resave it to version 1.xx from version 2.

A suggestion for retaining the 1.75 version files - copy them all to a new folder, and then use a bulk renaming program to add the words Version 175b to the file names all at once, perhaps just before the dot in .nwc  For instance, Blue Danube.nwc would become Blue Danube NWC Verison 1-75.nwc

I found CDRenamer to be fairly good for file renaming in bulk.  It's freeware, available here:

http://www.musicsucks.com/CKSoft/index.htm

Reply #23
David said:
"Nevertheless, you might want to share the originals with someone else, so even the liberal licence doesn't solve that problem."

Well, there is the freeware NWC2 player.
And if two different people are working on a file as a project, shouldn't they both have licences anyway? The very first thing I did with my first shared project on NWC was ensure my working partner had a licensed version of NWC as well.

It is still cheap enough to do that, I reckon.

Also, if you have an older version, you can still use it.
Many folks on the public beta program are using two version side by side. Confusing, but doable.

Reply #24
When I use both programs side by side, I accidently save it in the 2.0 version and I cant use it in my other one, I'm custom to using 1.75b until there is a concrete release of ver 2. I find thisq difficult. But Batch renaming sounds like an idea or a "plugin" for Ver.2
have it rename all your files with it saying Moonlight-NWC 2.nwc instead of it overwriting the original file in that folder. I backup most of my stuff but sometimes, I accidently overwrite just that one file and it's gone.
So I've come to my conclusion, I will further use 1.75b til version 2 comes out.
I've just notice though that all the other programs out there arent as intuitive as NWC. Sibelius, Finale, ect.... the list goes on, I've tried them all(most of them) and NWC is one of the most easiest user friendly musical composition program I know of.

I'm even now turning my compositions into cd's for myself, famlies and friends with an External Cd Recorder from an aux cord from the head phones jack of the computer to the input of the reciever.

So consider me pooped of hoping ver. 2 will come out anytime soon. Maybe they should make a mailing list so you can sign up and recieve the "official"(whatever that means) release of NoteWorthy Composer 2.00 when they decide to do so. Hmm.....I'm still wishing they will give us a hint(LOL!)

Reply #25
Well, I gotta start printing up my Christmas music tomorrow so we can start rehearsing on Tuesday.
Then I need to redraw some slurs by hand.

So I'm guessing v2 will be released on Wednesday...

Reply #26
About renaming files in mass, I think (once more) on TotalCommander. Ctrl+M as a quick key after selecting the files (even on many directories, referring to Ctrl+B which "flattens" the tree).

However, installing NWC2 doesn't remove any previous version unless you want it. This is not true for the NWC browser plug-in versions, but it seems not a problem to me. If you really want two versions of the browser plug-ins, just install them on different browsers :)

But I can't see why you want a batch conversion from NWC1 to NWC2... I still have NWC 1.1 files on my PC (in old 8.3 name format, for many), and I don't understand what your problem can be! The one exception is the .NTW extension, which is deprecated. Saving a file in NWC2 format by accident if it is in 1.# version can not happen, unless you don't read what NWC tells you ;-)

Reply #27
What I mean was,,, if I accidently save my song in the NWC 2 version and I don't use it for my primary use, how do I get it back to my original format in NWC1.75b?

Also about the batch converter,,, a batch(more like a Mass) converter to change the NWC file format into midi 1 or 0.

Reply #28
Probably the only way would be to export it as a midi file, and open it in version 1.75x.

Trust me, you won't want to keep 1.75 as your primary program, Version 2 is really good.