Skip to main content
Topic: How to Display Full Width on PC Screen? (Read 2385 times) previous topic - next topic

How to Display Full Width on PC Screen?

I'm evaluating NoteWorthy, and I'd be glad to buy a registered version if I can get it to display correctly on the PC screen. When I start a new staff and start inputting notes, the staff keeps going on and on at the right side of the screen while the start of the songs falls off the left side of the screen. There doesn't seem to be a page break or carriage return so that at the end of, say, four measures, the cursor then goes to the next line below.

Specifically, how do you get it to print 4 complete measures to a line, and then start the next line. Is there a "carriage return" command? Creating a new staff for each line doesn't seem like the right answer. I've tried affecting the print-out using the point size, but that doesn't really work very well. What am I missing here? There must be a way to do this.

Re: How to Display Full Width on PC Screen?

Reply #1
The Noteworthy edit display gives you one "staff line" for a system. It scrolls horizontally by nature, and has a zoom feature (the buttons marked "+" and "-" in the toolbar). It has no "what you see is what you get" properties with respect to printed music.

When printing, Noteworthy puts a number of whole bars on a system line, taking into account the page size, margins and font size. I find that varying the staff size (page Setup/Options/Staff Size) leads me quickly to a good print layout. Staff size typically is 18, 20 or something.

Your wish of exactly 4 bars to the printed line cannot be granted using Noteworthy parameters/settings. However, a bar line can have the "System Break" property. (Select the bar line, Alt Enter, Force System Break). The next bar then starts on a new system line.

HTH,
Wlm

Re: How to Display Full Width on PC Screen?

Reply #2
As Wilm says, each system (staff) is one continuous line in the edit window.  It scrolls to the right and never "wraps." For WYSIWYG look at the print preview window.

Wilm correctly describes the way to set "system breaks."  In NWC there are usually 2 or 3 ways to do things.  I prefer to use Control-E to adjust properties for any element, including bar lines, but that's just personal preference.

Only the system breaks on the top visible staff will work.  If you write for an ensemble, you might want to print a full score and separate parts. You need to set forced breaks on all systems for the individual parts to wrap where you want them to, or to save a lot of work, you might use a "work around" by creating a top "conductor"-type staff with bar lines and hidden rests.  Its properties should be set to "layer with next staff" and it should always be at the top of your page.

The conductor staff can also be used for such things as metronome markings and rehearsal letters, to save entering them on every staff.

My band (including older players) finds a staff size of 16 is fine for their parts.  That normally gives +/- 6 bars per line.  I prefer not to have the same number on each line because an unvarying number sometimes causes a player's eyes to track to the wrong line if they all look the same.

If I have many staffs in the score, I use a staff size of 10 for the score and print in landscape, then revert to 16 and portrait for individual parts.

There is no page break command in NWC, but instead of adjusting the staff size, I can control the page break a bit by tweaking the upper and lower vertical sizes of the staffs using F2 to set the attributes, and making judicious use of the forced system break to adjust the number of bars in the last few lines of a page.