Skip to main content
Topic: Print preview copying, stem lengths, and slur positioning (Read 39494 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Print preview copying, stem lengths, and slur positioning

Reply #50
My work-a-round for the odds and sods is to take the EMF to graphics. These can then be overlaid in the the layout program.
The most reliable way , which gets the sizes precise, has been to print to postscript from NWC then extract a bmp file in Ghostscript. I can keep 600dpi precision that way. The finished page can be saved as a small TIF file.
The better I know NWC the less I am finding I need to make external changes. Tail lengths can be adjusted inside NWC to help lyric readability. The occasional slur needs tweaking nad by cutting it out as grapical object its shape can be pushed around.

Reply #51
I came across a hard-to-find free program called "EMF Explorer" by Smith Charles, who may be in France. Apparently, it does something to massage the files, and the application may not be of interest here. However, his description of the function seems to imply that there ARE differences in the underlying Windows GDI (whatever that is), and that systems with GDI+ (whatever that is) may not necessarily have it activated, or whatever. He also implies that Windows 98SE, and presumably earlier, have something missing or deactivated in the EMF GDI (or whatever). It is all over my head, but lends credence to the idea that different copies of Windows may render EMFs differently, possibly depending on whether or not unrelated software turned the GDI+ on or off. Or whatever.

Reply #52
The reason "EMF Explorer" is hard to find is because that's not its name. It is "EMFexplorer" (no space), and can be easily located by search.

Reply #53
I have had the same problem pasting and inserting into Publisher 2000 (i.e. lost of separate lines making stems and beams and general wierness with ties and slurs). However, all works fine using Publisher 2003, so I guess MS have sorted out their EMF file reading.

It's a pity as I generally find Publisher 2000 easier to work with!