Skip to main content
Topic: Staff Properties (Read 3224 times) previous topic - next topic

Staff Properties

NWC 1.75b  Curious ... Is there a way to eliminate the orchestral/standard connection between staves?
I've written a solo piece that encompasses 4 staves, and when printing, they are all tied together, which is not the way I would like it to appear in print. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lars Andersen

Re: Staff Properties

Reply #1
G'day Lars,

NWC 1.75b  Curious ... Is there a way to eliminate the orchestral/standard connection between staves?
I've written a solo piece that encompasses 4 staves, and when printing, they are all tied together, which is not the way I would like it to appear in print. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Umm, confusion reigns - not really :)

As a solo piece, why have you used 4 staves?  Is this a multi manual organ piece?  If so surely you would want the staves connected.

If it isn't then I think you may have made an error in usage.  The "voice" should continue on a single staff until its conclusion (this is in the edit screen).  When you "print|preview" or print it, it will wrap to the page.  The wrapping is controllable to an extent by adjusting staff sizes, margins, whether a barline is a "system break" etc.

Hope I haven't misinterpreted your question.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
To solve the immediate problem, go to staff 2, highlight everything, then cut and paste its contents to the end of staff 1.  Do the same with staff 3 and staff 4.  Then delete the now empty staffs 2, 3 and 4 by going to each one, and pressing Control-D.  Save your file first, of course.

Next time you start a new file, choose <blank score> instead of one of the other templates.  If it turns out you need a second or third staff, you can add one any time with Control-A.

Reply #3
Without seeing you current file it isn't clear to me which staves should be combined.  If you wrote right and left hand staves across the window, then added new right and left hand staves, you should be tacking the contents of staff 3 onto the end of staff 1, and for staff 4 onto the end of staff 2.

Of course, we all may be missunderstanding the problem, in which case you would be better off joining the newsgroup and posting the .nwc file for inspections.  (And you may have done this, as I haven't looked at the newsgroup for some time now.)