Skip to main content
Topic: Fermata placement (Read 9321 times) previous topic - next topic

Fermata placement

I find that a fermata placed over an ordinary note is
correctly positioned (with Preserve Width off), but on a
note with an accidental it is placed over the accidental
(or sometimes midway between them.) On a chord with
multiple accidentals it really gets out of position.
Can this be cured?

All in all I love this program --- good work!

Re: Fermata placement

Reply #1
I hope this problem can be cured. I had the same problem many, many times.

Reply #2
I am looking for the translation (into English) of the following term: fermata sussidiaria.

A friend of mine has a sign that's labeled with these words,
and if you can translate, you'll settle a longtime debate about its meaning.
Thanks,
Jim

Reply #3
According to babelfish (Italian to English), the literal translation is

"stopped subsidiary"

I don't know if this helps, but you never know...

Paul

Reply #4
I'm relatively new to NWC -- it's disheartening to see this problem identified over a decade ago, and still not fixed. Why is that, NWC?

I find that a fermata placed over an ordinary note is
correctly positioned (with Preserve Width off), but on a
note with an accidental it is placed over the accidental
(or sometimes midway between them.) On a chord with
multiple accidentals it really gets out of position.
Can this be cured?

All in all I love this program --- good work!

Reply #5
I'm relatively new to NWC -- it's disheartening to see this problem identified over a decade ago, and still not fixed. Why is that, NWC?

Can you tell us which version you're trying?  I just tested with the current V2.1 release and the fermata seems to be correctly placed to my eye.  I.E. over the note head, or the stem of chords
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #6
I just tested with the current V2.1 release and the fermata seems to be correctly placed to my eye.
Like this?
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|TempoVariance|Style:Fermata|Pause:0|Pos:8
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:-6,b-4,#-3,-1
|TempoVariance|Style:Fermata|Pause:0|Pos:7
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:-1,1,b3,#4
|Bar
|TempoVariance|Style:Fermata|Pause:0|Pos:8|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:-6,b-4,#-3,-1
|TempoVariance|Style:Fermata|Pause:0|Pos:7|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:-1,1,b3,#4
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Unfortunately, the first two are the default. The second set is better, but possibly wrong as well.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
The second pair is what I see - I always use the toolbar button to place them.  What do you see as wrong with this placement?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
What do you see as wrong with this placement?
I'm not sure. Various sources say that the fermata should be centered on the notehead. For chords containing an interval of a second, 'Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote' places it over the stem. I'm trying |Text using Beta 2.5 and looking for examples from reputable publishers.

Then there is this:
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:Half|Pos2:-1
Over the stem? Each notehead?

I'm thinking that NWC might be friendlier if fermata, breath mark and caesura were |DurationVariance (a new object) rather than |TempoVariance. As such, they could be fixed in place much like articulations or have custom placement options. Just spitballin' ...
Registered user since 1996

Reply #9
A note to the old question: "fermata sussidiaria" means "auxiliary stop" or "auxiliary 'fermata'".
I never heard that expression if not about a bus stop...

Reply #10
I'm thinking that NWC might be friendlier if fermata, breath mark and caesura were |DurationVariance (a new object) rather than |TempoVariance. As such, they could be fixed in place much like articulations or have custom placement options. Just spitballin' ...
I agree regarding the breath mark.  It is really an articulation, a break between phrases, if you will, on one or more voices,  but not necessarily all parts.  You could have the upper reeds playing a phrase and breathing together where indicated, whereas the brass or the basses might continue blowing. The breath mark should never cause the timing of the following beats to change.
This is unlike the pig's eye which is a true tempo variance.  I'd leave it alone. 

The railway tracks usually apply to the entire ensemble, I think, and would be a tempo variance.  In that case I'd leave it, but I have a niggling feeling that it sometimes is used as an articulation to cut off the ensemble when one or more musicians might carry on.  Often in that case, it will follow a fermata.  Everyone blows a sustained first beat, for instance. Most of the group is cut off but the soloist(s) carry on, perhaps into a cadenza.   If I'm right about this, then the ceasura is both a tempo variance and an articulation.