Skip to main content
Topic: Sound Card not workin (Read 3030 times) previous topic - next topic

Sound Card not workin

My computer info

Soundblaster 16 sound card
Windows 98 (i think it's second edition)

I tried to check the device properties of the sound card by going to control panel then multimedia, then i clicked on  the devices tab and i checked the properties. It says my device has an unknown problem and to resolve the problem, i had to check My Computer Properties and i click on the Device Manager tab. I checked there and it said i either have no sound card installed, it isn't working properly, or it doesn't have all the drivers installed.

The signals of the problem is that I can playback, but i cannot record midi by using devices such as sound recorder (i used to be able to.) I want to be able to convert my MIDIs into waves and then MP3s. What do i do!?

Re: Sound Card not workin

Reply #1
Reinstall the drivers.
You should be using the driver pack :-
sbw9xup.exe
Check whether this is already in your soundcard folder
if not - download from Creative website.

Reply #2
Unfortunately,

I tried reinstalling the drivers and it still doesn't work. It says when I go to Start-Settings-Control Panel-Multimedia-Devices-Mixer Devices-Mixer for Sound Blaster 16 Plug and Play and in the properties, it says "This device is enabled, but inactive due to an unknown problem." What is the 'unknown' problem, and what do I do to fix it?

Reply #3
Screwdriver time :(
Remove the drivers.
Remove the soundcard.
Turn off.
Reboot.
Turn off.
Re-install the soundcard.
Reboot.
Install the drivers when requested.

It could be that some other device has stolen your soundcard IRQ.

Reply #4
I probably had the same problem, best way is to reinstall the operating system this should solve ur problem.

Reply #5
I would be very very careful about reinstalling an operating system.

There's an online magazine that may have an article or two to help you.  See replies 3 and 4 to message https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=3757