Skip to main content
Topic: I'm not hearing any sound! (Read 6287 times) previous topic - next topic

I'm not hearing any sound!

I'm not getting any sound. I tried some of the other things in the forum, but none seemed to work. I've got Windows XP, and no error messages pop up anywhere, and the MIDI tab in options looks alright. I'm using Microsoft MIDI mapper. I hope that's enough information.

Re: I'm not hearing any sound!

Reply #1
Did you ever have sound and it just quit working, or has it never worked since install?

Reply #2
I borrowed a magazine from the barber a couple of weeks ago that was very helpful.  It has several articles (total 14 pages) on Sound & Multimedia, discussing various things that can be wrong and how to fix them.

The magazine is TROUBLESHOOTING WINDOWS part of SMART COMPUTING LEARNING SERIES published by SANDHILLS PUBLISHING.  The magazine is undated but is marked as copyrighted 2002.

If you can buy it, great, or perhaps your library will have a copy or can get one on interlibrary loan.

The magazine has a website !www.smartcomputing.com which looks fairly comprehensive, and there are links at this page that may help you:

http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/category.asp?otid=0&searchqa=1&catid=6&wordlist=&searchtype=0&sort=0&ETID=2&ETID=3&ETID=5&ETID=4&ETID=6&ETID=9&articleYear=current&DF=&DT=&ETID=7&ETID=8&guid=np6eimye

Reply #3
Not sure why those links didn't show as hotlinks.  Trying again.  Copy to browser if these aren't hotlinks

http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/category.asp?otid=0&searchqa=1&catid=6&wordlist=&searchtype=0&sort=0&ETID=2&ETID=3&ETID=5&ETID=4&ETID=6&ETID=9&articleYear=current&DF=&DT=&ETID=7&ETID=8&guid=np6eimye

and

http://www.smartcomputing.com/

Reply #4
Never mind, I just checked the volume control. SW Synth was muted. Now I feel stupid :(

Reply #5
That's ok.  One of the first things the magazine says is to check the "obvious" things first.

Reply #6
No need to feel stupid for overlooking obvious things. Case in point (not in the context of music):

Some years ago, after working for many hours, I placed an object on my desk. I looked away, and when I looked back, I could not find it. There was no question that it was on my desk. The desk was not cluttered. I was too fatigued to see it.

So I closed my eyes, and slowly swept my arm across the top of the desk until it encountered something. Then I opened my eyes, and there it was.

I did NOT drive home.

Reply #7
Thanks. I feel better now. :)

Reply #8
Robert,
It wasn't there when you looked because the blue guys forgot to put it there for that minute.
When you bumped into it, it was a different minute, one in which the blue guys were doing their job properly.

Reply #9
I cannot think of a better explanation. Blue guys, it is!

Reply #10
Blue guys? You mean The Smurfs?

Reply #11
No, the guys who wear blue all over, including the face.
They are pretty much automatons, working to rebuild your house once for each minute of each day.  They will on occasion forget to put your car keys where you thought you left them, and when you look a minute later, there they are.  If a portion of your house will not be needed for a particular minute, there is a whitish void where nothing has been built.
I'm surprised more people don't know about this...

Reply #12
This isn't making sense...

Reply #13
Sorry, we have gone way off topic here.
I was just trying to help Robert feel less "messed up."

Rod S.

Reply #14
Ah. Now I understand. We have now entered the TZ.