Skip to main content
Topic: How do I hookup midi keyboard to PC? (Read 3132 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I hookup midi keyboard to PC?

I have an older model casio midi keyboard that does have midi in and midi out connections.  I have a gateway tower pc.  I just need to know what kind of cables to buy for this hook up and how do I make the connnection to my PC.  I would appreciate any help I can get as I am new to this.

I want to be able to record and edit music with noteworthy on my computer.  Thanks so much for your help!!!

Re: How do I hookup midi keyboard to PC?

Reply #1
The easiest, and the most usual way is to connect your keyboard using the joystick port. To accomplish this, you need a cable with a joystick plug in the other end and two round 5-pin plugs in the other.

Plug in the joystick plug to your computer and the round plugs to your keyboard so, that the midi in plug goes to the midi out socket and vice versa.

Reply #2
Where can you get these cables from - I've spent many days looking in PC shops or at computer fairs but to no avail. How much would one of these cables likely to cost?

Reply #3
Odd that you couldn't find the cable in computer stores... around here, both computer stores and music stores carry them. So check your local music stores.

Cost is typically on the order of $15-25.

Reply #4
If all else fails, check out Radio Shack if they have stores in your area.  I think they carry the midi cable; in our area they sell midi keyboards, so they should have the cables.

Reply #5
Hello,
I was completely new to MIDI stuff too and had many problems with how to make things work. I've asked for help from many places and finally got everything work fine. You can go to this URL, actually it is my post for help and also my little guidance for new MIDI users.
http://www.audioforums.com/forums/Forum9/HTML/001985.html
to find out more. I hope it will be helpful to you.
Cheers!

Reply #6
what software do i use to hook up my midi keyboard to my pc?