1. Is there any way to notate 'transpose one octave up'
like this:
8________________________

(like in the Urtext editions)...
the closest I seem to be able to find is a Treble clef
with a little 8 on top?

2. How do I make two melody lines (same melody, one
octave apart) with stems pointing opposite ways? (I.e.,
showing that they should be played with opposite hands?)
As far as I understood it involves 'layering'... so I
prepared the two separate melody lines, but I am having
trouble 'gluing' them together....

3. Can you turn of the little '2' above the repetition
notation?

4. Is there any way to add notation like upstroke and
downstroke (for string instruments)? If not, is there
a way to incorporate 'custom-made' notation into NWC
scores? Or do you have to draw it in afterwards?

Thanks for any replies...
- Seb

Re: A few things...

Reply #1
Welcome, Seb!

8va You can do a traditional 8va by inserting a clef where the music goes up, select it, cntl/E and then select octave shift.  After changing that click on visibility and choose Never.  You will have to insert your 8va------------------ as ordinary text above the shifted notes.  When you return to normal, insert an unshifted clef and hide it as above.

Layering Two things (at least <g>) are necessary for layering to work.  With the "top" staff highlighted, press F2 and pick the "Visual" tab and check on "Layer with next staff".  Once you click OK on that go to Page Setup (open book icon).  Under "Contents", check "Allow Layering".  If you have notes or accidentals which overlap, you will have to add extra note and/or extra accidental spacing to the note(s) on one of the staves to clear up that problem. (select, then cntl/E again).

Repeats If you can use master repeats instead of local repeats, there will be no 2.  I don't know how it can be avoided on local repeats.

Bowings The Scriptorium is your friend.  Download, unzip, and install Boxmarks.zip from here and, under page setup and Fonts, insert Boxmarks as a numbered user font.  IIRC, t = upbow and v = downbow.  To put those symbols on notes you will have to insert text (a "t" or "v") and choose that user font.

Once again, welcome.
Since 1998

Reply #2
I forgot you also asked about stems.  You can click on an icon with a note and a red arrow on the stem pointing up or down.  Once you select it, it remains in effect until you click on it again or choose the opposite direction.  To force stem direction for a number of notes, select them then click on the icon (or shift /up arrow  or shift/down arrow).  To do a whole staff, enter Home, shift/End first.
Since 1998

Reply #3
One warning about the octave-up solution; making the clef invisible will also suppress its appearance on subsequent systems. Workaround: At each measure that falls at the beginning of a new system, add a normal clef (visible) followed by an octave-up clef (hidden). This looks goofy in the editor, but works out fine in printing.

The problem is that if the layout changes, or if you end up printing parts, the system break may no longer be at the same place. Nonetheless, it's still a workable approach if there aren't too many octave shifts in your score.

If there are frequent excursions to/from 8va, a better approach is to use two layered staves. One is used for the normal octave stuff, and the other for the 8va stuff. In the 8va staff, either do the upward transposition in Staff Properties | Midi tab (+12) or else use the hidden treble-up clef. When all done, make invisible all the full-bar rests and barlines in the "tacet" portions of each of the layered staves.

Reply #4
PS - for multiple voices on a single staff, you don't necessarily have to use layering. You can use the chording function (add notes to a chord using CNTL-Enter). I'd suggest studying the help file on the topic to learn the "rules", and perhaps do a bit of experimenting to get a feel for when it's appropriate, and when not.

Historically, the chording funtion came first. However, partly because of the inherent limitations of this approach, the layering option was developed. Still, the "legacy" multi-voice functionality is still quite useful in certain less complex situations.

Reply #5
Just use a hidden staff that changes clefs, and a visible muted staff that has 8va (and loco) added as text when necessary.  No need to worry about change of layout, the use of layered staves, or anything else.

Reply #6
Hey, yeah. Good idea!