Skip to main content
Topic: Hidden staff(?) and locked(?) volume (Read 2952 times) previous topic - next topic

Hidden staff(?) and locked(?) volume

I am trying to modify an existing NWC file (http://nwc-scriptorium.org/ftp/messiah/m2-41.nwc) to emphasize the alto part.

I am able to lower the volume on the other voice parts, but doing so through Staff Settings seems to have no effect on the accompaniment parts.

Also, the top accompaniment line consists of two combined staffs, Upper Manual and Upper Manual 2, but even when I mute these two staffs (and Lower Manual, the next staff), there are still some accompaniment notes sounding. (They do show on the visible score.)

How can I (1) change the volume on all staffs; and (2)control the hidden staff or whatever is causing unwanted notes to play?

Sorry if this has been covered before; I wasn't sure how to choose keywords to search it.

I am using Composer 1.70 (deliberately).  Thanks!

Re: Hidden staff(?) and locked(?) volume

Reply #1
First go to File-Page Setup and un-hide any hidden staffs.  Then you should be able to change volume on any of them by normal means.  Also, check which MIDI channel each of the staffs is using.  If any two or more of them use the same channel then you cannot have a different volume for them, they will all assume the last volume level assigned to any of them.  Simply assign a different MIDI channel to each staff (avoid ch.10 for non-percussion parts, of course).  The score list in Tools should show you the channel of each part at at glance.

Reply #2
While preparing a file for chorus training, you might want to also adjust stereo pan for all parts.  To emphasize the Alto part, set stereo pan to something like 32 for STB and 96 for Alto.  There are many ways the end user can adjust the equivalent of "balance".

While you can also change the instrument to something which would really stand out, I would not suggest this when the user can't change what you provided.
Since 1998

Reply #3
Thanks, that's exactly what I needed. I knew about staffs using the same channel having the same volume, but have never used hidden staffs. (Why would one?)

Is channel 10 reserved for percussion instruments? Is it a program requirement or an accepted convention? I've rarely worked with scores that used them, so didn't notice that to be a pattern.

Thanks again.  --Ann

Reply #4
Thank you Warren, also, for some new ideas. I *do* adjust the instrumentation for each part; I've settled on bass = trombone, tenor = bassoon, alto = oboe, soprano = English horn. The other voices are set to voice oohs. My users mostly have Player so can't change my choices, but I haven't heard any complaints ... yet. I'll experiment with balance in addition to, or potential replacement for, the instrumentation.

Reply #5
I... have never used hidden staffs. (Why would one?)
If you have any drum parts, you need to use lots of "tiny" notes for rolls, but show a quarter or half or whatever with little slashes on it.  Flams, drags, and all other rudiments need to be "written out" to play correctly, but one would never show this type of notation.  Other instruments may play trills, mordents, and any of a variety of ornaments that, again, need to be written out but not shown.
I'm sure there are other reasons to use hidden staves, but I can't think of them right now, cuz I gots t' go beddy-bye.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z z z z  z   z

Reply #6
On the Scriptorium is a piece called "Black Bear" which uses a hidden staff to play drumming, including rolls, and a visible staff to show, without playing, the traditional drum music notation. It also includes a fife part. The information included has with the file has more information. It uses a couple of fonts available on the Scriptorium (details in the info). Note that I have a wish on the wish list to have a grace note property to selectively allow them to steal time from the preceding note. Currently they only steal time from the following note. That means they cannot be used for flams and drags. The hidden staff I used manually decreases time from the preceding note for this effect. It can be very tedious.