Skip to main content
Topic: Record to Noteworthy with virtual keyboard (Read 4056 times) previous topic - next topic

Record to Noteworthy with virtual keyboard

Is it possible to input notes or record to Noteworthy from a Virtual keyboard that plays on screen with qwerty keys. I haven't succeeded yet. I can use the virtual keyboard to work out chording and arranging but I still have to put them up manually.

Re: Record to Noteworthy with virtual keyboard

Reply #1
Yes and no. It is possible using the old standard "Virtual Piano" if you have a 9x operating system. But apparently that software cannot be installed under XP. The problem is with installing the "piano," not with the interface to NWC.

Anyone else know more about this?

Oh, one other thing: There are inexpensive keyboards that will do MIDI (not necessarily General MIDI). People buy them as gifts for their friends' preschoolers, expecting them to turn into instant Mozarts. When they don't, the keyboards end up at Goodwill. Maybe you can find one (hardly used!) for $20.

Reply #2
I spent $150 on a keyboard and have never yet been able to make it work with my soundcard.  Doesn't really matter, because I'm not a pianist anyway...

Reply #4
Ah, I had forgotten, and David reminded me...even though you may have a keyboard (and cables), that doesn't mean it will necessarily interface with your computer especially if it is XP. Even some MIDI-specific interfaces (if 9x generation) don't necessarily work. When in doubt, try NT compatibility mode.

But if you too my advice and got a used $20 MIDI keyboard, and you can't get it to work with your computer, give it to a friend who has a toddler.

Reply #5
Go to www.midiox.com and download and install first MIDI-OX, then Midi Yoke.  MIDI-OX has a virtual piano in it accessible from a menu button.  Both are free for home users.

Reply #6
Thanks Milton, I installed the midiox and midi yoke and I can play sounds from the qwerty keyboard, but still I can't input them into Noteworthy or even save as a midi file. The problem is that I start NWC recording but as soon as I touch the midiox window or keys to play, the NWC just stops. NWC just does not seem able to run in the background.

Reply #7
Are you trying to use the virtual piano for step recording? If so, it won't work because NWC needs to have focus in this mode. However, it should work for you in real-time recording mode. Note that you have to be playing an existing file such as a rhythm template while recording (see the Help facility).

Reply #8
llucyy: If you are using Tools|Record, then check your setting for Tools|Options|Midi|Port Usage. If you have this set to While Active, then NWC will stop playing/recording whenever you switch to another application.

In step entry, MIDI keyboard input works similar to computer keyboard input. The Windows' focus has to be in NWC for it to work.

Reply #9
Thanks Noteworthy, that's the trick I can now record music with the qwerty keyboard.I made a 'metronome' file to add to the Rythm sets, by two measures of quarter notes and a local repeat 20 times and placed the notes on E line with channel 10 and a tempo of 60. Gives me plenty of time. Also the Midi set at eighth note justification.

Reply #10
I am disabled and collect Social Security, so I am on a really low budget. I went to Wal*Mart and asked for a MIDI keyboard. they gave me a very puzzling look and said: "Mini keyboard?" I said, no, MIDI! When I explained it was a musical instrument, they said to come back at Christmas.

So, I went to other budget stores in town, and always got the puzzling look and the mini question. So, finally, I went to a music instrument store. I expected all of their keyboards to be outrageously expensive. However, they had a Suzuki SP-45e, that they normally sell at $390, on sale for $175. They said Suzuki was coming up with a new model, so they were selling this one at their cost to get rid of it.

Well, it was still more than I can afford, but I put it on my credit card, and am very glad I got it. It makes so much difference! Not only can I enter my NWC notes by playing them on the keyboard, I can also listen to my music (and any other MIDI files) using this keyboard. And what a difference it makes from a computer sound card!

So, yes, a MIDI keyboard can cost thousands of dollars, but if you shop around, you can get a very nice keyboard for a relatively low price (I do not consider a Casio a very nice keyboard). This is a full size keyboard, not a child's toy.

I also got some very inexpensive headphones from Radio Shack (they only cost around $6), so I can use it at any time of day or night without disturbing my neighbor.

Reply #11
"I spent $150 on a keyboard and have never yet been able to make it work with my soundcard. Doesn't really matter, because I'm not a pianist anyway..."

Keyboards can be used for a lot more than just pianos. Why did you spend $150?
What was the point of your post exactly?