Skip to main content
Topic: Simple software to convert midi to wav (Read 11244 times) previous topic - next topic

Simple software to convert midi to wav

All I want is something that I can open up a midi with and it saves it as a wav. I dont want complicated stuff like wavmaker III, because I am too stupid to figure it out.
any suggestions?

Re: Simple software to convert midi to wav

Reply #2
I have returned from the year 2007, and NWC 2.0 does everything you want, including "Save As .wav" native to the program. Wait till you see it.  Well worth the higher shareware fee.
(I tried to bring it back with me, but all non-organic matter was destroyed while I was in the time stream.)
In the meantime, keep hitting that wishlist!

Reply #4
Timidity++ works well and is free.
Installation is easier than stated before.

Goto: http://www.stardate.bc.ca/eawpatches/html/default.htm

There you can get the sound files and the conversion program.
Download the program version 2.11.3, 897K - you may have to look hard for it on the page! This should be be unpacked into a subdirectory named Timidity. The latest experimental version is at http://timidity.s11.xrea.com/index.en.html

For the sound fonts, "patches", the eaw set, a 15mb download, is excellent to my ears. These are on the stardate page above in one file labelled Eawpats12. You will also need UNRAR to unpack them. Unrar needs to be installed and will put the patches in eawpatches directory.

No other configuration is needed to operate. It worked first time with the defaults. There may be other configuration options which I have not explored.

I couldn't detect any obvious difference between the two program versions. It is best to drop one file onto the program at at time as it seems to run out of memory when given a batch job.

Reply #5
It's not free, but at $20 US Wingroove is the next best thing and sounds good even on older, slower computers.  Once you have saved your NWC composition as a Type 1 MIDI file as described elsewhere, open the MIDI file in Wingroove.  In the File (?) menu choose "create WAV file" and the MIDI file will be rendered directly into a .WAV file even on a slower computer.  I tried this on a Pentium 75Mhz and it worked fine.  Here's the web site:
http://www.cc.rim.or.jp/~hiroki/english/

P.S. Great reply, Marcel! :)

Reply #6
Marcel's proposition is the ultimate goal.  But in the meantime, the really easiest way to get a wav file out of NWC - without the intermediate step of creating a midi file - is to download and install a neat little audio editor called "Audacity." Once that's done, simply activate the "record" function in Audacity & hit the play button in NWC. When it's finished, go back to Audacity and save (export) the result in wav format.

Since it records anything running through your sound card, Audacity has a dozen or so other uses, including converting midi files (which, I know, was the original subject here)by the same process.

And, oh yes, it is *free* and available at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Reply #7
Again, I refer everyone to https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=3468.

As for Audacity (and similar programs): Yes, it does the job of live recording as the MIDI file is played through your sound card. But if your computer has a cr*ppy sound card (such as many laptops), then that's the sound you will get. Whereas if you use some of the other programs, you can record the sound in virtual time using instrument data not on your soundcard.

Also, not everyone is able to figure out how to make the sound go from the output of the sound card to the input of Audacity.

Having recently returned from the future myself, I can say that MIDI is obsolete, since everyone can get immediate access to the entire library of all music ever recorded, as well as all music currently being recorded in real time, via the 10,000,000,000 TeraBook memory/satellite receiver that comes standard with every super-sized meal at the local fast food joint.

Reply #8
L & L O L!!!

However, I am disappointed that we possibly have another 4 years to go until v 2.0. Could Marcel have slipped into a parallel universe?

I can't add anything more to help the o. p. 's query. Midis and wavs are structured in such different ways that it is vary difficult to come up with a "one size fits all" solution for converting in the direction requested (and well-nigh impossible to go the other way ....)

Reply #9
Seriously... I would guess that the primary reason you won't find MIDI-to-WAV internal to NWC, in any version, is that the digitized instrument database is necessarily external to the program. Many such databases are proprietary, or would be subject to royalties if offered in conjunction with a commercial program. But software to do the recording (such as Timidity) is already available NOW, and a variety of databases are already available NOW.

Back to the future: Did I mention that my super-size meal is low fat?

Reply #10
A simpler way, but nor for everyone.

First, check your sound card documentation to see if it has full-duplex capabilities.

If this is so, you only have to make your computer record the sound while at the same time your sound card plays the MIDI file. For this open Sound Recorder or similar and your play back utility. Press quickly the record button on Sound Recorder and the Play button on the play back program. At the end of the performance remember to stop your Sound Recorder.

The result will be a nice WAV file with the same sound you hear from your sound card that will be heard more or less the same on any computer, whatever sound card is installed.

Reply #11
By the way, Sound Blaster Live and Audigy 1 & 2 have all full-duplex capabilities.

Reply #12
...another 4 years to go until v 2.0.
That's another 4 years to go until we have to pay again.  You wanna pay sooner?
And the progression seems about right.  We're on 1.75 now, 2004 will give us 1.82, 2005 will give us 1.89, 2006 will give us 1.95, 2007 will give us 2.0.
Or something like that.

Reply #13
Hi Riley, Quick and easy, JetAudio free download Cnet, large file though about 10 meg. Modplug tracker also free and easy but some voicings change, but for simple instruments OK.

Reply #14
That's another 4 years to go until we have to pay again. You wanna pay sooner?

When I first registered, NWC was supplied on a floppy. A printed user's guide was just a gleam in Eric's eye. Many of the current features were non-existent. Transcribing large scores was really not possible.

Many enhancements later, and having achieved some scores I was really proud of, I was therefore happy to pay an additional $10 for the 1.70 upgrade 2 years ago (it's now $15 for 1.75). This has also saved me much hassle by being able to use the CD upgrade feature, given me a nice printed guide (among other things) and is, in my opinion, a very small price to pay for the personal satisfaction using NWC has given me (and a few other people also, I hope).

I know that some of the features which have been asked for regularly, but have still to appear, will spur me on to more ambitious projects. Others will judge if they are better, but for me, the next developments cannot come sooner.

One solution, so as not to disdvantage newcomers, would be to continue v1.x as an "entry level" product. Finale adopts this approach, Sibelius, in the main, does not.

Reply #15
Midi2wav, the best software for record your midi files into wave and then convert to mp3 with dbpoweramp

Reply #16
I still find that the relatively inepensive RIPVINYL is the easiest way of getting MIDI to WAV format. Try it out on short term free trial first.

Reply #17
Hey, I found midi2wav worked well, but I only got to use it once because of this stupid error that came up every time I tried something. Anyone know how I could get the full version for free, or make it so that I can record more?

I will pay if I find it works well.
Thanks,
Riley

Reply #18
Anyone know how I could get the full version for free, or make it so that I can record more?

Simple, just arrange for the programmers of the world to get a lifelong supply of free food, clothes, shelter, computers, and books, and all software will be free.

Reply #19
(for the record) In the US, health care benefits are right up there with food benefits as vital components to software product development manpower.