Skip to main content
Topic: Channels don't play back (Read 5728 times) previous topic - next topic

Channels don't play back

I have my Technics sx-PR110 keyboard installed to my computer. Problem is, only some of the channels will play back, everything else is silent. I didn't mute the staves 'cause i checked for that. Can anyone help my problem?

Re: Channels don't play back

Reply #1
How is your keyboard attached to your computer?  Is it through a MIDI interface?  If so, is it a joystick port or a USB port interface?  Is it attached through a serial cable directly to a serial port (COM 1 or COM 2) on the computer?  Is it a Mac Or Windows computer?  The first thing you may want to try, though, is to go to your keyboard's operating manual and look up how to set it to be used as a MIDI synth module.  Different manufacturers call this different things, but you want the keyboard to receive MIDI data on all channels (1-16) and be set to GM (General MIDI). Forgive me if you are already familiar with all this.  More info would be helpful to solve your problem.

Reply #2
My computer is a Windows 98 version and the connection is through MIDI interface. The connection is in the back where the joystick would normally go. Because the keyboard is older, though, I can't select instruments from the general MIDI and I do by using instrument patches. I would, but I can't look at my manual because it's lost somewhere <:( Yeah, that's the basic info.

Reply #3
Given that your keyboard predates GM you may want to download and install a MIDI editor/librarian such as MIDI-OX at www.midiox.com (free for home users).  By trial and error (unles you can find a manual for your keyboard on the Internet) construct a patch map, that is a correspondence patch-by-patch of the GM patch nos. to the patch nos. of your keyboard, and save it in MIDI-OX.  I have not had to do this myself, but I think you can route the MIDI signal between NWC and your joystick port to convert the patches automatically.  Good luck, and I hope someone more experienced than I am at this sort of thing jumps in with more details!

Reply #4
I downloaded MIDI-Ox and tried it, but it looks FAR TOO COMPLICATED!!! I'm only a beginner at making MIDIs and I can't make out what the help file for MIDI-Ox means. I tried to look at how to make custom patch maps, but that seems a little hard. Can you give me kind of a step-by-step guide to either using MIDI-Ox or making a custom patch map, or are there any easier programs to use?

Reply #5
First, check your parts in NWC to make sure that they all assign a MIDI volume. This is done via the MIDI tab of Staff Properties.

If this does not work, you should check the keyboard configuration. It may only support certain channels, or have limitations on how many simultaneous sounds it can support.

Reply #6
I saw that the keyboard was the problem, but you said it might only support a certain number of simultaneous sounds at a time. If this is true, then how come I try to use a working channel to use a track? The problem is most likely the keyboard's selection of channels is outdated and that it predates GM (General MIDI) so channels were different numbers than today. However, should I take Milton's advice and try to make a patch map (I might consider using the Band in A Box program)? If so, then Milton could hopefully show me after I make the patch map, how to send the data to the keyboard (if that's what he means)

Reply #7
I searched for a manual for your keyboard's model no. and didn't come up with an exact match but the Technics PX-101 may be close to yours.  Does your keyboard have buttons for Mode Set and Transpose Up and Down?  If so, try holding down the Mode Set button while pressing the Transpose Down button.  When the light comes on and stays on next to the Transpose Down button your keyboard should be set to receive and play MIDI data, that is, to act as a multi-timbral sound generator.  You may have somewhat unpredictable results, though, depending on which instruments are assigned differently from GM patch nos.  You may want to try something even simpler if you dont mind spending $20-$50.  There are two software synthesizers I use that are GM compliant and sound great.  WinGroove costs $20 and sounds great even on my older computer, a SLOW Pentium 75Mhz.  It also converts MIDI files to WAV (audio) files on this same slow computer with great results.  Download it from: http://www.cc.rim.or.jp/~hiroki/english/ and try out the demo for 14 days before you buy.  If your computer is at least a Pentium II (even faster is better) you should try the Yamaha S-YXG50 for 30 days before you have to buy a software key.  This sounds like an audio recording of acoustic instruments, absolutely FANTASTIC sound!  Well worth the $50 if your computer can run it, and you don't need any hardware or interfaces or MIDI-OX.  Get it at: http://www.yamaha.co.uk/xg/html/midplug/m_mid8.htm and buy the software key at: http://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/product/detail.php?product_id=1019818&instrument=general
You can still use your keyboard to record parts into NWC, of course, which will sound great played back on the Yamaha!  Have fun and good luck!

Reply #8
Yes, my keyboard has both, a mode set and transpose up and down. I held down the mode set button, but the transpose didn't do much for me. However, while holding down the mode set button, you change things by pressing certain intrument buttons. Many of these buttons i don't what they do. The guitar button changed the sound of my unstrument, (violin to electric piano and oboe to clarinet), and holding down the trumpet causes it to light up, then blink a bunch and go back to piano (never found out what that does) and when i press the brass button, a number appears on my little screen, they pop us as 0, then 1, then -1, then back as you keep pressing the buttion. By any chance, what website has this manual, i'd like to look at it.

Reply #9
Here's the site where I found Technics/Panasonic manuals in .pdf (Adobe Acrobat)format.
http://support.panasonic.co.uk/ttips/searchc/home.htm
Select "Audio" from the drop-down box, on the next page select "Keyboards" from its Type drop-down box, select a Model No. from that drop-down box, and from the Document Type drop-down box select Operation/Instruction Manual, maybe go back to this page later and see if there are any doeuments under Service Manual/Supplements.  Your model no. is not on this list but you can download manuals until you find the closest-looking one and maybe that will help you out.

Reply #10
Thanks Milton, this is just what we would suggest. Although we could not find the Technics sx-PR110 in the list of supported products at:

http://support.panasonic.co.uk/ttips/searchc/home.htm

there is probably one similar to the one you need (althought the actual manual that came with the keyboard is the best place to learn more).

Reply #11
Yes, today's the day I reveal my true identity, lol. My name is Scott. Sorry I was so secretive about my name. I just sometimes trust people because they get your name then they access your files and stuff.

-I talked to my neighbor today, and he knows a lot about computers and MIDI. Unfortunately, because the keyboard predates GM (General MIDI), there's not much anyone can do about that. MIDI has existed for roughly 30 years, and before GM, MIDI wasn't exactly 'complete', co that may explain drums being channel 15 and no sound on certain channels. So, at this point, there's not much I can do now. By the way Milton, I tried the Yamaha program you mentioned to me. The instruments sound GREAT, but it's only the harpsichord that doesn't sound real. It sounds a little too mellow. Thx for all these great tips, though. Either way, I may be a little too busy with my future violin I'm purchasing.

(If you wondering why I think things only slightly advanced, I'm only 13 years old, lol.)

Reply #12
I meant to say DON'T TRUST!

Reply #13
I think you can edit the sound paramaters on the Yamaha softsynth but you may need a separate software XG editor.  I think Yamaha may have one or more on their XG Home site or a web search sould turn up others, such as XG Gold.  Maybe you can try those when you rest those sore violin fingers! :)