Skip to main content
Topic: easy way to set default staff volume to 64? (Read 4314 times) previous topic - next topic

easy way to set default staff volume to 64?

What I would like to do is have nwc open in new and every added staff have the volume default to middle volume instead of maximum.  It might be fine to have the volume set to max for a general purpose thing but I am constantly adding staves and wish that I didn't have to set the volume every damn time I did it.
So is there a way to change the default?

Re: easy way to set default staff volume to 64?

Reply #1
Create a template with many staves set just the way you want them.  Hide a number of staves you don't use all the time, then save the template.  When you need another staff, bring one out of hiding.
Since 1998

Reply #2
Good one, Warren! That should be a user tip, no?

Reply #3
Thanks, but it seems awfully short for a user tip--needs more material on the science of building a useful template.  I'll keep the idea in mind though.
Since 1998

Reply #4
Mr. Porter- that sounds great [maybe] but there is no direct way that I can find to 'hide' a staff once it is in place.
This is not in help directory, nor under staff properties, nor options.  So just how does one do this?
J

Reply #5
Find the icon which looks like an open book and click on it (File menu then page setup does the same thing).  Under the "Contents" tab, visible staves will have a check, hidden ones won't.  Look at "moonlite" in your samples folder.  In the original file, the staves you look at are muted while only the hidden ones actually play.
Since 1998

Reply #6
I have the same problem - only I am playing everything through my Roland keyboard. If I go to Staff Properties (F2) and edit the part volume on the MIDI tab, it still come out max. volume. I have to insert an mP Dynamic before it softens.

Or am I missing something else?

Reply #7
I have to insert an mp Dynamic before it softens

Dynamics control the velocity parameter by default. If you do not set the dynamics at the start of a piece, NWC assumes that it is to be played fff (velocity = 127).

The volume parameter can be adjusted if you edit the dynamic, check the "over ride default volume" box and enter a number between 0 and 127. Very low values are usually inaudible, but the results are in any case highly dependent of the soundcard/synthesiser used.

Reply #8
I wish it assumed that it should be played as mf if no dynamic is specified. That is what my good ole' piano teacher taught me was the default (back in the 1950's).