Skip to main content
Topic: Playing from desired position (not from start) (Read 3692 times) previous topic - next topic

Playing from desired position (not from start)

When I write my song, it gets quite long, and I don't want to listen to it from the very beginning just to see how the stuff I wrote at the end sounds.

How can I play my tune from a desired position?

Re: Playing from desired position (not from start)

Reply #1
Also, on a different note. How do I set the style to jazz, so that it swings the song. For example if I play a jazzy midi file, it will play it straight and not as the midi.

Reply #2
See user tip #53, user tip #54, and user tip #103 for the jazz answer.
See the manual/help file that comes with NWC for the first question.

Reply #3
See Tools|Options|Midi|Play [Help Reference]

Reply #4
To answer the first question, put the cursor in the measure you want to start, then F5 (or click on the Play icon).  If you know the measure number ahead of time, do Cntl/G then enter it.
Since 1998

Reply #5
Thank you, that helps.

Reply #6
Also, how can I use an instrument from my keyboard. Such as the drums. Or in general, how can I get some drum instruments to work?

I know that you usually select that from the Staff Properties|Instuments, but I've looked at each one, and there isn't a Drum Kit instrument.

Reply #7
Problem 2: How can I put major bar numbers beside them. For example if my chorus part starts at bar 50, I was to have a square with "50" in it by the bar.

Reply #8
Never mind, I fixed the drum kit problem. Just needed to switch to channel 10

Reply #9
To put a boxed "50" in the music, first install the Boxmarks font (if you haven't done so already) and choose it as a user font in the piece you are working on.  Where you want to insert your boxed 50, hold down the shift key and enter "[50]".  It will look like "{%)}" but will display correctly.
Since 1998

Reply #10
For the swing/jazz style you could try also User Tip 134, which has pre-made jazz tempo tracks at different tempos in a zip file.  More convenient this way, since you can't just change the tempo of a NWC jazz tempo track just by inserting a tempo control, reason being that the jazz track alternates between TWO tempos on the eighth notes of each beat.  I did these also because the other jazz tempo tracks I found in User Tips did not satisy me for the right swing feel, so mine are the result of a lot of trial and error, not by applying a ratio of the two tempos. Not to "toot my own horn"!  (all puns intended)  To use them once you have unzipped the file, pick one whose number in the filename is the tempo you want, highlight the measure of eighth rests, and paste it into your NWC piece as the tempo track.  Be sure to count the TOTAL number of measures including all repeats and adjust the measure repeat in the tempo file to match.