Skip to main content
Topic: Two notes connected by beam over two staves, is that possible? (Read 2272 times) previous topic - next topic

Two notes connected by beam over two staves, is that possible?

As a novice user of NWC I stumbled on the following puzzle:
How do I tell NWC that I want an "a" in my piano LH connected by beam to an "e1" in my piano RH.

The only thing I could come up with was a doubling of "a" and "e1" in both LH and RH. This isn't a very pianist friendly way of writing, though.

Does any of you have an alternative solution?

Re: Two notes connected by beam over two staves, is that possible?

Reply #1
You can't do that directly, but a workaround exists if you want to display muted staves, but play hidden staves.  First, do whatever necessary to make the piece sound correctly.  Copy these staves to new staves which you will mute, then hide the original ones.  This was done in "moonlite" in your samples folder.

When you need to borrow a note from the other staff, place it so it appears in the correct location.  Then select it and, after Cntl/E, choose "no leger lines".  Be sure you are satisfied with the spacing between the staves before doing this since any change would make it necessary to revisit all occurrences of borrowed notes.
Since 1998

Re: Two notes connected by beam over two staves, is that possible?

Reply #2
That workaround is fine if you want the beamed notes with all of their stems in the same direction.  I have some music with the first and last of four sixteenths stem-up and the second and third of four sixteenths stem-down.  Is there any way to accomplish that?