Skip to main content
Topic: To Midi-conversion inaccuracy (Read 4276 times) previous topic - next topic

To Midi-conversion inaccuracy

When I enter score in Noteworthy, and later save the file in Midi (1) format, some notes are extended (and rests shortened accordingly). Mostly, minims are extended by eights, or sometimes dotted eights.
When reading Midi-files and converting them to Noteworthy (not all of my friends have been 'converted' to use Noteworthy yet - here lies a task), similar inaccuracies occur. Are there ways of converting in a more exact way?
Rob den Heijer, Maarssen, Holland
robdenheijer@hccnet.nl

Re: To Midi-conversion inaccuracy

Reply #1
We are unable to reproduce this. When you save as MIDI, you basically are rendering your NWC notation into a playable performance as a MIDI sequence. What method are you using to verify the MIDI file that is created by NWC?

Reply #2
Are you referring to triplets?  That's the only time I've seen a problem like you described.
Since 1998

Reply #3
I'm not sure about making notes longer, but I do
notice that the notes of the midi files are a tiny
bit shorter.  My guess is that the default for NWC is
'non-legato' which places a very short rest between
notes.  One can place a 'legato' at the beginning of
the staff to ensure that the midi file uses the full
note value.

HTH

Reply #4
The original post refers to "save the file in Midi (1) format" so triplets cannot be the issue (NWC saves triplet notes into a MIDI file without any problem).

Reply #5
It just can't read them back again (hint, hint!)

Reply #6
My fellow choir members use ME Studio Lite for viewing Midi-files, and for studying their parts. I have been pointing out the advantages of Noteworthy, but only a few converts so far. For the rest of the choir (chorus?) I need to supply them with Midi-files - the converts are quite happy with .nwc ! But when reading back the results in ME Studio Lite, the aberrations occur. Similarly, when someone posts a Midi-file, I always want to polish things up: for instance, shifting octaves down for the tenors. But some (not all!) dotted halves come out as a halve (minim, if you like) and a quarter rest. Would it help if I send you and example? bgrds, robdenheijer@hccnet.nl

Reply #7
You don't need to shift the tenor notes down an octave: just choose octave shift down in clef properties.

Reply #8
You might want to get them to use NoteWorthy Player which is free.

When preparing files for chorus training, I use a template with all parts having a low value for stereo pan and all volumes are set at 75%.  To highlight a certain part, kick up the volume, stereo pan level, and/or change the playback instrument.  This is an example:
http://nwcchorus.free.fr/data/verdi_requiem_liberame.nwc
Since 1998

Reply #10
We are not talking about really loud music here, just the other chorus parts and the accompaniment.  By separating a specific choral part to the other speaker, someone studying that part would have no problem hearing it.  Also, someone could highlight that part even more by adjusting the balance on their computer's speakers (right click on the speaker in the systray).

To test if they had learned the part, just adjust the balance the other way--then they would get no help.
Since 1998

Reply #11
If you're making "Part -predominant" files just set the pan for say'Tenor to 1 and the pan for the other 3 parts to pan 127 and save as"-------Tenor". Etc for the other parts. Then the tenor part will be on one speaker and the others on the opposite. Also if your members use the Noteworthy Browser plugin to play their files they can vary the balance during play with the keyboard left and right arrows.