Skip to main content
Topic: The final note has an abrupt end (Read 4260 times) previous topic - next topic

The final note has an abrupt end

In every pianopiece I write, the last note(s) do not die out naturally. When the duration of the note has to stop, the sound stops suddenly just like you turn off a radio. In reality there is a little "fade" (echo) when you lift your finger from the piano key - also if you do not make use of pedal.
Kind regards
Steffen

Re: The final note has an abrupt end

Reply #1
Try adding a Multi-Point Controller for Reverb just before the last note or chord.

Reply #2
There is also an effect that occurs with some sound cards or MIDI players that abruptly cut the final note regardless of the music instructions. The solution is to add a couple of rest measures at the end.

Reply #3
I have typically used the "fade" multipoint controller to avoid the "chop off" of the ending note.

Reply #4
I have looked in "Help" to see about "Multi-Point Controller" amd there are a lot of things. I am not quite familiar with NoteWorthy yet so if somebody have had the same problem, I hope this person can tell me what I have to insert and where I have to insert it.
Regards
Steffen Appelquist

Reply #5
If you want the last note in a song to have time enough to fully decay, the best way is to add a final, silent event that extends the play back of the song. See https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=755 for details.

Reply #6
One solution. For the MultiPoint Controller, right click at the beginning of the last measure having a note; choose the "volume" controller; "linear sweep" Style. I then fade from the beginning volume of the measure (say, 127 if the staff is at 127 at that point), down to zero for the last beat or so of the measure.

Reply #7
Just as long as you remember to reset it to 127 after.

Tina

Reply #8
Steve Parson.

I am not quiet sure I have fully understand it. Have you energy to send a little example to appelquistdk@yahoo.dk ?
It can be a little piece consisting of 2-3 measures.
I would be so glad if --

Kind regards
Steffen Appelquist

Reply #9
You almost have a complete example already.  In your samples folder, open moonlite and display all staves.  Note the hidden bass has an extra measure with a final very soft note.  Add a pedal down before the bass note in measure 203 and remove the pedal up mark which followed.  Now play the last few measures of the piece (or shift/F5 on the bass staff).  This is a way to implement the tip in Reply 5.
Since 1998

Reply #10
This method is difficult and certainly not "customer-friendly". Hope to see an example with MultiPoint Controller as mentioned in Reply 6.
Regards
Steffen Appelquist

Reply #11
Hi Steffen

Already sent an example of nwc and resulting midi file by email. If you have not gotten it, let me know. Other examples can be gotten through my site at http://www.psalmistry.com.

Quick note: I use a dragon dictate macro to voice record in the "fade" at the end of a song. However, you could also simply create a standard MPC sample file in nwc, save it as "fade.nwc" or something like that and simply copy the MPC into the last measure of your work (with potential adjustments, depending upon the number of notes in the last measure).

Hope that helps!

Reply #12
Since it is for piano, which has a natural decay, why not just enter a hidden tempo change. For example, if the tempo of the piece was in qt = 96, just before that last note enter a tempo of say, 40.  And hide it by selecing Never Show.