Skip to main content
Topic: Transposition (Read 2567 times) previous topic - next topic

Transposition

How to transpose a song by changing clef?
(how to convert a viola note to violin)

Re: Transposition

Reply #1
It doesn't look like you are transposing, you are just placing the notes where they belong on the proper clef.

The middle note on a viola clef (Alto Clef) is middle C.  If you are changing for a tenor which often uses the treble clef an octave down, middle C is the 3rd space--select everything on the staff (Home, shift/End) and cntl/shift/up arrow ONE time and change the clef to treble and octave down.  To move everything to an unshifted treble clef (the one the violin uses), cntl/shift down arrow SIX times after selecting it.  For a bass clef, it's up arrow six times.

Once done, go back to the clef and select it.  From there it will be easy to change and add an octave shift if necessary.

HTH
Since 1998

Reply #2
i have quite a number of scores that uses number instead of notes .. so i'm using nwc to change it to notes .. but i find that when i put instruments of different key (i.e. bflat trumpet and flute(c)) together ... the music doesn't come out right... pls help.

Reply #3
You need to transpose the Bb Trumpet Staff. Select the MIDI tab in Staff Properties and transpose up 2 semitones. That's because a Bb instrument sounds a C when a Bb is written.

You can also use NW to transpose the whole staff by automatically rewriting all the notes shifted by a particular interval. So if you write the staff for a C instrument and then transpose the staff down two semitones (making sure that "Update Staff Playback" is checked, then you'll get a staff written for a Bb instrument playing back at the correct pitch. And if you look at staff properties you'll find that the staff transpose has been set correctly to achieve this.

Reply #4
Whoops - I meant the other way round. A Bb instrument sounds a Bb when a C is written. So the transpose should be down two semitones.

And the same applies in the next paragraph too! You need to move the notes up from the C instrument to the Bb instrument.