Skip to main content
Topic: Location of triplet slur (Read 5579 times) previous topic - next topic

Location of triplet slur

I haven't been able to override the default placement of the triplet slur.  If the notes are stem-up, then the slur is above the notes.  If the notes are stem-down, then the slur is below the notes.  Is there a way to override this default?  My main problem is that right now the slur is overwritting my lyrics so I would like to place the triplet slur above the notes.

Thanks for your help

Re: Location of triplet slur

Reply #1
Hi there and welcome to the group.  To adjust your slur, highlight the first slurred note and right click it.  Left click on "properties" at the bottom of the menu that opens.
Click the arrow on the "slur position" block and choose your direction.

Reply #2
I tried your suggestion but it doesn't work.  I think I mean the bracket indicating the triplet grouping instead of a vocal slur.
|____3____|
Can this bracket be positioned differently than what the default position is?

Thanks for your help

Reply #3
Oh, I see what you mean.  You will usually only get the bracket if you triplitize whole, half, or quarter notes, or a mix of notes, all other notes will just have the "3" over them.  Unfortunately, I believe that the "3" or the "3" with bracket automatically follows the stem direction of the first note.  Also any notes that can be beamed (8th note and up) will be automatically beamed.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Reply #4
I have the same issue. I would like it to stay at the top, regardless of stem direction. Perhaps if NWC is watching this, they can add it to the wish list. I can't remember if I already requested it.

Reply #5
While the placement (above or below) has been an issue at times, I have found that the distance between the bracket and the notes is sometimes too great, particularly if a rest is involved.  What I have done to compensate for this is to leave the triplets "untripletized" and add the |----3----| as a group of text items.  Yes, this will cause the playback to be incorrect, so I add a temporary tempo change.  If I was at quarter=120, I add dotted quarter=120, and then switch back.  What about the other parts?  Add a hidden rest.  It doesn't always look perfect, but I'm usually the only one who can tell...

Reply #6
Esther, that sounds like the kind of workaround necessary to do pentuplets or septuplets.  It works but is labor intensive.
Since 1998

Reply #7
Do you think anyone would like a way to add a tempo change as a percentage of the current tempo? So that you could set the tempo to 150% for the triplet, then back to 100% afterwards? That way, if you later changec the song tempo, the triplet would still work as desired, without having to change its tempo. Same for pentuplets, etc. I recently did some drum music with many pentuplets, etc. and I wanted to save different versions at different overall tempos. What a pain to change every pentuplet instance in every version!

Reply #8
It works but is labor intensive.
Yeah, tell me about it, but it's better than having the |----3----| floating a mile above the notes...

Do you think anyone would like a way to add a tempo change as a percentage of the current tempo?
I'm with you on that one!   I've had to do the same thing.    I used to have a midi player that could do that (Voyetra?), but I have since bought a new computer without that player.

Reply #9
I would like to have triplets w/o having the |---3---| above the note at all as an option.  In addition to being able to place the "3" where you want it, a piece with all triplets (e.g., Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring) doesn't need all the 3's with notes beamed in groups of three for measure after measure.
Since 1998

Reply #10
no problems with triplets, but what about other combinations,as -2-(value 3) -10-(value 12) a.s.f ?
Alberto

Reply #11
I'm having the same problem with the triplet bracket. Yes, it follows the stem-direction of the 1st note in the triplet, but I can't change the distance from the stave, so it's either in the way of my lyrics or my dynamics. Same problem with slurs - you can change the direction (upwards meaning above the stave, downwards meaning below) but not the spacing. Can anybody help?

Reply #12
I don't think you can do anything about the triplet bracket but you can adjust the vertical position of the lyrics and the dynamics.

In the lyric editor, try various settings in the configuration tab.

Dynamics and text will normally default upon entry to the same vertical position as the preceding one, I think.  However, they can be easily repositioned vertically by highlighting  them and using the up and down arrows.  They can also be repostioned horizontally with Control-E, Expression Placement.

This doesn't fix the triplets, but it reduces the problem.