Skip to main content
Topic: Adding accidentals / selecting one note in a chord (Read 3449 times) previous topic - next topic

Adding accidentals / selecting one note in a chord

I can't figure out how to add an accidental to a single note in a chord. I forgot to add it when I created the chord and now I need to add it. I'd prefer not to have to reenter the entire chord.

I think this might be related to how to select a single note in a chord.

Thanks

Re: Adding accidentals / selecting one note in a chord

Reply #1
The trick is to remove the existing member of the chord (with Ctrl+Backspace or Edit|Remove Chord Note), then re-add the corrected member.

Reply #2
So there is no way to select a single note within a chord and then be able to apply edits to it (accidentals, note changes (eg quarter to eighth), stem changes, etc.)?

Reply #3
I'm not sure what you are wishing for.  Right now you can select a note or a chord and change the length of everything in it just by pushing a numeric key and/or the period key.  As for adding an accidental to a note in a chord you would have to do something to get access to a specific note anyway before changing it, then change it, then do something to say you are finished.  If you needed to change an A minor chord to A major (say it's a quarter note), all that's necessary is cntl/backspace, "3" (if necessary), "9", and Cntl/Enter.  It would be difficult to streamline that any further.
Since 1998

Reply #4
You can select a single note in a chord, but you can't edit it, all you can do is delete it.  You can then set the accidental, articulation, etc. and insert a new note, either of the same pitch or at a different pitch.  To select and delete the note position the cursor to the right of the specific note head (in the same vertical position you used to add that note to the chord) and press ctl-backspace.  This will remove the note.  Then set the accidental (using the short-cut keys 7, 8, or 9, or by clicking on the toolbar) and press ctl-enter.  The note will be reinserted at the vertical cursor position with the specified accidental.

In the previous posting the "3" sets the duration of the note-to-be as a quarter note (crotchet), and the "9" turns on the # sign.  The first is unconditional, but if by chance you already have the # sign selected the "9" will actually turn it off, leaving you with an un-sharped note.  The number keys in question are the ones on the upper row of the keyboard, not on the number pad.  (Actually I may be wrong here, but since I always have num-lock off, to use the number-pad for navigating in the staff I have never tried using it to see if a "3" there equals a "3" on the regular keyboard.)

Reply #5
The number pad does work with the num-lock on - I use it all the time. It can be very disconcerting if the num-lock accidentally get knocked off <g>

Tina