Skip to main content
Topic: NoteworthySoftware.com RSS News Feeds (Read 8874 times) previous topic - next topic

NoteworthySoftware.com RSS News Feeds

The web site now provides two RSS news feeds for those that get their news and updates via this technology:

If you are new to the idea of RSS news, it is a standard way for web sites to deliver news updates that can be aggregated and displayed in special RSS reader software. The RSS reader software automatically does all of the work of checking various newsfeeds for new information and displaying new topics as they are found. This frees the individual from having to manually check numerous web sites for product news or updates. A single check of your RSS reader program can be used to get all of the latest news.

There are numerous RSS newsreaders available online. Here are a few of them:

Another way to find out more about RSS is by starting at http://www.xml.com and then following the "What is RSS?" link in the Essentials section. Be aware, however, that most web articles on the subject of RSS tend to focus on the technical aspects of the RSS technology (XML), so it can be complicated to understand at first. This area is fairly new, and the focus on technical specs in introductory material is reminiscent of the early days of the Internet. Hopefully, it will get more user friendly as the area matures.

You can suggest other RSS readers, and share any other RSS information, by replying to this topic. Please keep replies relevant to RSS, since this thread will be linked from the NoteworthySoftware.com main page.

Re: NoteworthySoftware.com RSS News Feeds

Reply #1
Note: There is no connection between an RSS newsfeed and an NNTP private newsgroup. This announcement should not be considered as having anything to do with recent activity surrounding a NWC NNTP newsgroup.

Reply #2
In that case, the coincidental timing is unfortunate. If one were cynical, it could be interpreted as a more "hard-nosed" attitude to NWC users ("we will push the information to you").

As for the demise of the NNTP newsgroup, a little more notice would have been appreciated. On the other hand, if this event was caused by elements outside your control, then some expression of regret, rather than the bald statement made in https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=3243.msg19652#msg19652 ?

Reply #3
NewsGator - a RSS newsreader for Microsoft Outlook.

Reply #4
Hope it's nothing to do with the obnoxious 'Gator' spyware programs.

R.
Rich.

Reply #5
Nope, totally unrelated to the evil "Gator".

Reply #6
Does anyone remember when Gator wasn't evil?
It used to be just an "eWallet" and made filling out forms great!
It came with a game I downloaded.
Couple years later, there's an upgrade to the game.
Also included is an upgrade to Gator.
That's when it became evil!
Man, the pop-ups!
And it's embedded!  I can't "find" it to throw it away!
Sorry...

Reply #7
AdAware gets rid of the evil Gator, along with a host of other disgusting reptiles. The "free for personal use" version is perfectly adequate.

On one occasion that I know of (my coworker), AdAware couldn't remove a couple Gator files and the directory in which they were housed. (Probably because the files were in use.) He simply noted where they were, and deleted them manually.

Reply #8
AdAware gets rid of all of Gator, including the eWallet, which I do like.  (I have already installed AdAware.)  When I installed the upgrade to the game, Gator (all of it, unfortunately) was reinstalled.  Wish I could disable the GAIN ads...

Reply #9
Apparently Thunderbird now supports RSS and Blogs.
However I've not been able to successfully subscribe yet.

Reply #10
Sadly, TB says that neither of the pages linked in
1. News Headlines
2. What's New
are valid RSS newsfeeds. :-(
Is this a problem with TB, or is something broken?

Reply #12
Got it now, thanks.
My mistake had been that I'd missed the XML/RSS logo at the bottom of the page, and so was just using the page itself for the RSS entry. May I suggest moving the RSS/XML logo to the top of those two pages?
Is there much difference between the two pages, btw?

Reply #13
-
A good reason to bump this up:

Mozilla Thunderbird mail/news client has started to support RSS feeds from version 1.0 on. Note that this feature is (at the time this post is written) unique to Firefox (1.0) and NOT available in the mail/news applet of Mozilla Suit 1.7.5.

Updates can be followed at the Mozilla website.
_

Reply #14
-
The word Firefox in the above reply should read Thunderbird. Firefox is a web browser and has nothing to do with RSS. Apologies...
_

Reply #15
No, Firefox does have something to do with RSS: the live bookmarks of Firefox are actually bookmarks of RSS feeds.

Additionally, if there's an RSS feed linked to a page, Firefox displays an orange icon in the lower right corner of the window, and if you click that icon, you can read the feeds.

Read more about live bookmarks and the RSS support of Firefox at What are Live Bookmarks?.

Reply #16
-
Ahh, good; my error was not really an error then. :)

[abbr=Mozilla veteran/Firefox no0b]Ertugrul[/abbr]
_

Reply #17
'Lo world :) hope you are all well.
I wanted to add the firefox IS related to RSS, particularly if you add the "infoRSS" extension. Currently in 1.0.3 version.
Enjoy,
Best regards,
Marsu