Skip to main content
Topic: duplet in 6/8 meter (Read 3011 times) previous topic - next topic

duplet in 6/8 meter

Hi all...I'm new at this...
Writing a piano/vocal score and just wondering how to insert a duplet figure (2 beamed 8ths) in the vocal part against three beamed eighths in the piano part...?

Thanks for any help!

Re: duplet in 6/8 meter

Reply #1
G'day Wilderlad,
in the vocal part you could place a semiquaver (sixteenth) rest between the two notes and another after the second note and make them hidden.  You might also need to add an 'extra note space' to the middle note of the beamed quavers in the piano part

That would make the chart look about right.

OR, if you don't mind the second quaver in the vocal part lining up with the third quaver in the piano part you could do it with one hidden quaver rest between the two notes in the vocal part.

Either way, to make it sound right you'd need to create another, hidden, staff and write the 2 notes as dotted quavers, while muting the visible staff.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Thanks Lawrie!  I'll give it a shot!  (even though I'm not too sure how to make the notes, staffs or rests hidden....?) and a #2 above the duplet figure...is that a possibility as well?

Wilderlad the green newbie....

Reply #3
G'day again,
to hide any element on the staff, simply select (highlight) it and press <Alt-Enter>.  This will take you to its' properties dialogue where you can change visibility to 'Never'.

This is done on the Visibility tab, the 'Show on printed page' pull-down box.

As for the '2' - place it as text.

Position the cursor, press <x> and complete the dialogue box.  Look for things like:
  • Font selected
  • justification
  • placement
  • preserve width

I would place the text centre justified at next note/bar (to sit on the rest, so position you cursor immediately before the rest before you press <x>) with preserve width OFF.  The font to select is up to you but I would probably select a user font and define it in page setup as the same font and size as "Page Small Text" but make it italic.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Thanks Lawrie....

I buy the next round of Guinness!

Cheers!