Skip to main content
Topic: Newsgroup Anomaly? (Read 3578 times) previous topic - next topic

Newsgroup Anomaly?

Is there some reason the newsgroup is automatically deleting (or not posting) current messages?

I was trying to provide some help to a person, but all my messages (including questions about the anomalous behavior of the newsgroup) are deleted by the newsgroup server.

I notice it is doing the same with various other persons

Re: Newsgroup Anomaly?

Reply #1
I also noticed there were no new messages being posted to it on 10 Mar.
Since 1998

Reply #2
Found an answer. I unsubscribed and then resubscribed. Seemed to cure the problem of missing posts.

Reply #3
It seems that ezusa have chosen to renumber posts starting about two-three days ago. For some reason, the id numbers have been set to 190 less than they used to be. So many newsreaders won't pick up the next 190 posts (when the numbers will then be higher than the highest number - used to check if there are new posts).

The upshot? Reset/reload the headers for the newsgroup (do a "Catch Up" or similarly named thing with it). If OE doesn't do the right thing, try deleting and reloading the group. Note that this may take some time as there are over 14000 posts.

HTH,
Andrew

Reply #4
the id numbers have been set to 190 less than they used to be..

Does that mean that the first 190 posts have been deleted?

Reply #5
Andrew, I don't know if you are right but if you think you are why not send a message to the newsgroup 190 times.
Maybe that will clear the problem.

Has anyone contacted the owner of ezusa?

PJ

Reply #6
No, 190 posts had not been deleted. Some were sharing the same numbers! Fortunately, a post's ID is more than just the number, so they still had unique ID's.

This morning I checked the group, and the numbers have gone back to "normal" (ie the higher set of numbers), so pj I think perhaps someone did mention it to ezusa.

A

Reply #7
I am noticing that the wierd behavior has begun again (posts being "lined out" as soon as I click with a message that the thing can't be found.

Think I'll just kick back a few days and see if the thing resolves itself back into stability.

Reply #8
I have to look for a message that still exists on the newsgroup.  Another bunch of messages appear in bold (default for unread), but don't have a status of unread.  When I click on one of them, they are "expired". Mar 16 at 4:50pm was the last thing I saw.
Since 1998