Skip to main content
Topic: How does the NWC newsgroup work? (Read 4757 times) previous topic - next topic

How does the NWC newsgroup work?

I have a newsgroup reader which has all the "alt." groups (29 thousand or so!) but it didn't list anything like the one NW has set up - I see it has a completely different kind of naming structure, which is new to me, but whatever....

I clicked somewhere on the NW pages and hey presto, it brought up Outlook Express and added the newsgroup to my O.E. newsgroup list right there and then - very impressed I was! I've never actually bothered with O.E. for reading newsgroups (always found it cumbersome), but anyway I let it trundle on - uh-oh - crashed my PC because of volume problems (several hundred thousand records!)

Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks!

Re: How does the NWC newsgroup work?

Reply #1
Dave,

The NoteWorthy newsgroup is on a remote newsgroup server that does not host all of the alt newsgroups. This is based on a server called EZUSA but I am not sure what it is that you are downloading onto OE. The NoteWorthy newsgroup only has 49,000 records since it's been on that server and I don't think all of those would be downloadable now.

Maybe you are downloading all of the newsgroups on that server?
For the record, the address for the server is : news2.ezusa.net  and the NoteWorthy newsgroup is ntworthy.nwc
Rich.

Reply #2
You might want to sort everything by date and then flag as read everything over three or four days old.  That will let you get caught up.

I very much prefer the way Netscape handles newsgroups over OE.  It is much easier to change the sort (group by thread only takes one click) and see old read messages listed without having to read or skip past them.
Since 1998

Reply #3
My mistake, it was 26 thousand messages (I was a digit out), however it is still far too many for Outlook Express to handle. Even trying to download the headers, it can't take it. It is, as I always thought, a crock of the proverbial. My ng reader "Forte Agent" cannot handle the newsgroup, so I will just have to live without it.

Incidentally, I also posted something to the Forum about a particular piece of music, which I see some moderator has removed. I presume that is because it was considered not a topic for a "forum".....? Well pardon me, sackcloth and ashes, blah blah, blah, but I'm new to these pages and didn't know. I certainly didn't read as such. I'd imagine that the ng *IS* the place for musical requests etc., but as I can't and won't be accessing it, so be it.

I'm not a "taker" by the way. I've sequenced some quite big files myself recently which I'd have been happy to share (eg: Wilde Jagd by Liszt, last week - not exactly a 2-minute job!) but I think I'll just leave this strange, insular little NWC community to its own devices from now on.

Goodbye folks!

Reply #4
Dave - I don't think anyone wants you to vanish, but if you do decide to disappear I hope that at least a smile will remain. ;-)

As to accessing the NWC newsgroup - there are regulars on the group who use Forte Agent, so I'm sure it's quite possible and practical to use this software to view the NWC group. You probably only need to set up a new account for the ezusa.net server. If you've presently got it running for usenet, you'll probably find that it's on a server provided by your isp: something like news.myisp.net or something. All you have to do is create a new account, and for the server specify news2.ezusa.net (the "2" is important). You can then open the tree to view the different newsgroups available; there will be a "folder" called ntworthy, expand that and you'll find the group ntworthy.nwc -- that's it.

Cheers, and hope you reappear,
Fred

Reply #5
Just to add to what Fred's said - I use Forte Agent as my newsreader and it has no problems whatsoever in reading thousands and thousands of records.

I even have the backup on CDRW with all of the attachments that have been posted and can switch to that at will even though this has all the records from before the EZUSA server as well.

Hope to see you in the newsgroup Dave.
Rich.

Reply #6
wish I could access the newsgroup :-(
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #7
Francis

Would you care to amplify that statement.

What's stopping you ?
Rich.

Reply #8
If you click here, you should be on your way to the newsgroup.
Since 1998

Reply #9

<guess>

His ISP/LAN may be restricting the use of outer news servers, which is the case with several folks around.

</guess>

Reply #10
Thank you Warren, but as Francis, the problem is not the URL. The problem is that the protocol used (NNTP) is not allowed by the ISP (or Proxy or...) he/I use(s).
Until now, I've not found any solution.
I'm thinking of a [abbr=Pretty Home Page, or [recently] PHP Hypertext Preprocessor]PHP[/abbr] script that would do the interface between NNTP and HTTP protocols, but that's a lot of work.
The "mailing-list" solution I used to maintain never had a lot of success, and is currently out of service.
I don't despair anyway.
Stay tuned...