16 parts

With the newest full version of NWC,
Am I limited to..
1. one type of drum kit
2. only 16 different parts?
-Karst

Re: 16 parts

Reply #1
The "limitations" you describe have nothing to do with NWC. In NWC you can have a virtually unlimited number of parts (staves).

However, the General Midi (GM) specification only allows for 16 channels, one of which is reserved as a percussion channel (channel 10). However, if you have additional devices (such as the A and B synths on SBLive!) then you can have additional channels -- 16 channels per device. NWC allows you to make use of such additional devices, such that on the SBLive!, for instance, you can have up to 32 channels, two of which are percussions channels.

The same restrictions will apply to any sequencer, scoring program, or other software that uses the MIDI protocol.

Reply #2
When I use both the A and B synths on SBLive!, I usually get a delay in some of the parts, which sounds kinda like a junior high band - you know what I mean.
Does this happen for anyone else?

Reply #3
To add to Fred's reply.

You can have more parts if the staves share channels.

For example:
4 Trumpet staves could all share channel 1
4 Trombone staves could all share channel 2
2 Alto sax staves could all share channel 3
2 Tenor sax staves could all share channel 4
1 Baritone sax could be on channel 5
Vocal line channel 6
Piano (both left and right hand staves) on channel 7
Organ channel 8
Lead guitar channel 9
Rhythm guitar channel 11
Bass channel 12
Tuned percussion channel 13
Latin percussion channel 10
Drum kit shares channel 10

Only 13 channels but there are a lot of individual note voices there - nb. piano, organ and the guitars all play chords.
BUT - your sound device must have the POLYPHONY to play all these voices simultaneously (which can happen).
On many sound cards about 5 of the total voices are reserved for the percussion channel.

Reply #4
All that sharing is fine until one instrument needs an MPC and the others don't - then watch out!
And if the music is not homorhythmic, the "note off events" on one staff could tell the notes on another staff to stop playing.
Try sequencing Stravinsky's "Symphonies of Wind Instruments" to see what I mean.