Skip to main content
Topic: playback doesnt line up with the notes (Read 7332 times) previous topic - next topic

playback doesnt line up with the notes

I'm having a problem with the playback coming from the speakers lining up with the notes that are highlighted on the screen. The highlighted notes go ahead before the note is actually sounded through the speakers. I've tried both versions (16 & 32 bit) and both have the same problem. I'm using WinGroove as my playback device, and maybe that might have something to do with it...anyone know how to fix this???

Re: playback doesnt line up with the notes

Reply #1
Is WinGroove that driver that does real-time (read compute-intensive) blending of digital sounds to play through the speaker device?

If so, I'd imagine that the driver is needing so much CPU time that it can't keep up with the demands placed on it. What CPU is in your computer?

..in which case the fix is
1) Get a soundcard that can produce the quality output you want without involving the CPU or
2) Get a faster CPU!!!

Hope this helps...

Andrew

Reply #2
Here is a guess:

The WinGroove driver waits until the "note off" instruction before rendering the actual audio for a particular note event. If it did this, then it would always lag tha actual NWC play back by at least one note sequence.

Reply #3
I have noticed the exact same problem with Yamaha's SYG20XG software synthesizer. This problem comes no matter which program I use that tracks the file. It is simply due to the processor speed or memory.

You can hear it lag if you send some channels through your regular sound card and some through Wingroove - the channels will not play together, and Wingroove will always be just slightly behind the soundcard, and NoteWorthy will track what you hear through the soundcard. The delay between the soundcard and Wingroove will always be exactly the same.

The music you are playing back will not be affected - just look away from the screen, minimize or do something when ou play a file so you don't go crazy trying to work it out.

Neeraj Mathur

Reply #4
I've been working with Noteworthy Composer and thinking of
ordering it, to be used in setting up four part harmony for
my barbershop quartet. Is anyone out there using NC for bar-
bershop work? I am having trouble getting two notes that are
the same. Can't seem to combine an up and down staff together
so they can be sung, one by the lead, and one by the tenor at
the same time. If I can't get it to do that, I'm dead in the
water. Also, being barely able to read music myself, I'd like
to hear the playbacks in different instruments from time to
time, but keep hearing the same sound when I choose different
playback instruments. What do I need to buy next? Also, I don't
understand what the Noteworthy Player would do for a neophyte
like me. Thanks for any ideas, as I am learning a lot by
working with NC. Jay

Reply #5
I noticed exactly the same thing when I upgraded my computer. The new motherboard has the sound card on it. The problem is not the speed of the CPU since 950 mhz is much faster than the previous one of 300 mhz. The problem is way the new sound card handles the midi mapper. The way I have learned to handle the mismatch is to make the highlighted notes the same color as the display and then you can actually watch the screen with the music playing and not go crazy. Hope this helps someone else.

Reply #6
Jay's comment from 1997 suddenly re-emerges!

Since then, NWC has added the capability to merge staffs. That's just the ticket for harmony, if you want upper-track notes with stems up, lower-track notes with stems down, on the same staff. So if there are any prospective new Barbershop composers out there, give NWC a try.

Reply #7
i use wingroove too, on nwc and many other programs. the problem about the visual not lining up with the audio is with wingroove, not nwc. the same thing happens with the other programs i use, but if i change my midi device, the sync between the audio and the visual is perfect.