Skip to main content
Topic: Notation for Introducing (Read 4065 times) previous topic - next topic

Notation for Introducing

1) Notation for Introducing

I use NCW to transcribed the saxophone solo.  I saw some transcribed solo sheet which has a long black block line before the solo. Which is the introduction, may be 5 bars, 6 bars, or whatever, depends on how many bars of the introduction.

I understand the text (x 4, or x 5 on top of it is just using text) but I would like to know which function I can use in NCW to put a black block line on?

2) Update automatically update sound transposition
Where can I update the automatically sound transposition ?

Thanks.

Re: Notation for Introducing

Reply #1
You need to get the "boxmark" or "boxmark2" font and install it on your system.  Select it as a user font by clicking on the icon which looks like an open book.  To create a multi-measure rest of say, 8 measures, insert the text of "[8]" and choose your user defined font.  On the music it will look something like "|--8--|".

Look for resources in the NoteWorthy web site and the fonts should be just a few clicks away (probably in Scriptorium).

Reply #3

Exact hit this time! </g>

Reply #4
Practice makes perfect! Besides, I was only off by one the last time.
Since 1998

Reply #5
To Warren Porter's excellently concise reply, I would add that you can make the empty bars "invisible" before entering the multiple bar rest.

Reply #6
I just looked at the file cuedemo.nwc, and I saw that the cue notes are not aligned with their counterparts on other staves.  Do you have a remedy for this?

Reply #7
I just looked at the file again, and realized that Preserve Width should not be checked, and Alignment should be At next note/bar.
Thanks anyway.

Reply #9
This was essentially a workaround, i.e., NoteWorthy wasn't designed to do it, but a method was found to do something close.  Perhaps grace notes might be used as cues--I'll try to look into it after I return from T-giving vacation (and can use my own computer!)  If you experiment with grace notes, remember they take no "time" so you may have to insert rests (hidden or not) to make the bar lines line up.
Since 1998

Reply #10
The Scriptorium has a number of fonts from me. One of them - I forget which - has a number of pre-made note symbols (as well as beamed pairs) that can be used as text to place intro notes in NWC1.75.