Skip to main content
Topic: Orchestral score (Read 4243 times) previous topic - next topic

Orchestral score

Hello :)

Ok, I want to be able to group parts of my score so that they have the extended bar lines between each other but NOT between seperate groups (Hope you know what I mean). Is this possible?

Re: Orchestral score

Reply #1
Adjacent staves with Orchestral style will have their bar lines connected. If you want a break then insert a Standard staff at the break point and layer it with the next staff. If it also has an open ending then you don't need to put anything on it.

There's nothing you can do about the joining line on the left hand edge of the staves except a bit of playing around with Grand Staffs

Reply #2
Brilliant! Thanks! Thats just the job :)

Reply #3
There's nothing you can do about the joining line on the left hand edge...
Is there some trick you know to get a bracket and a brace, as in the first and second violins?

Reply #4
As I suggested - play around with Grand Staff staves. Once you have an Orchestral staff you will always get a pair of thick and thin vertical lines on the left, but you can turn Ochestral into Upper/Lower Grand to get braces.

If you want to brace the top staff and retain the Orchestral curlique then you will have to add an extra layered Orchestral staff above the top staff and this (exceptionally) will have to be padded to the end of the score with hidden whole note/bar lines.

Reply #5
Layering... the fact that one needs to use a "layering" tool to do basic instrument grouping shows the process for doing so may be ill-conceived.  Perhaps this could be reviewed in the next version.... I mean, a simple selection for example (standard, orchestral, orchestral (top), orchestral (bottom)) Or something similar? Comments?

Ell.

Reply #6
Yes.  We can choose the style of the end of the staff.
Why not choose the style of the beginning of the staff?
Brace, bracket, brace/bracket, open...
Maybe we better hit the wish list.

Reply #7
Yes, that would definitely be a useful enhancement. Perhaps we could have the option too of whether the staves have connecting barlines (as in orchestral groups and piano) or bar lines just on the staff as in vocal music.

Reply #8
When using layering in some of these staves, I have run into a problem where bar lines would extend only half way to the next staff.
Since 1998

Reply #9
I have created a template for a large orchestral score which I believe solves the problems of staff groupings. I will post it to the newsgroup, and will be happy to send it to anyone who would like a copy.