Skip to main content
Topic: New spell check mechanism when previewing your post (Read 4528 times) previous topic - next topic

New spell check mechanism when previewing your post

We have introduced a basic spell checking procedure that is provided when you preview your posts. This is being offered on a trial basis. At the moment, we have not customized the vocabulary to be NWC and industry friendly, but maybe it will help you to avoid some obvious typographical mistakes.

Post your comments here, and here only, as replies. Any new threads or replies concerning the spell check that are not located in this thread might be removed.

Re: New spell check mechanism when previewing your post

Reply #1
I understand that the spell checker complains that « cl » is not an english word, when I write the french word « clé ». But why does it complain for the english word « french » ? We are not authorized to speak about other languages ? Or maybe we need an uppercase F for French and English ? Yes, it seems that the checker doesn't yell with uppercase initials, and that I just learned a new orthographic rule.
Ahem... now it complains on « doesn't »... Do you know good correspondence courses adapted to French students ?

Reply #2
Hey, I just chequed it out and it works grate!

Reply #3
The spell check mechanism was just updated:

• The spell check now preserves words with apostrophes, such as doesn't mentioned in reply 1.

• The word list is now shown in sorted order.

• A possible misspelled word will only be listed once in the list (it was previously listed as many times as it appeared).

Reply #4
Thanks so much for the spell check. It will eliminate a lot of my errors!

Reply #5
The only thing I don't like about spell check is that people get really angry at new comers and say "This forum has a spell check, please use it," but I don't think that will happen here

Reply #6
Which dialect of English does the spell-checker use?  I use Canadian spellings such as "centre," and am not interested in using foreign (to me) spellings such as "center."

Amusing - I just previewed the first paragraph of my message (which was the entire message at that stage) and got this from the spell-checker:

"A primitive spell check reported the following possible spelling errors (this is just a hint):  centre"

I can live with that as long as it doesn't automatically force me to change.

Reply #7

A good idea, indeed. I often make typographical mistakes and, concerning long posts, it's hard and ineffective trying to catch them by eye.

British/Canadian spelling is also my preference because I was trained in that discipline. So, it would be nice to support the pairs as centre/center or colour/color etc.

Reply #8
I think it's a good basic feature; catches most of the embarrassing typos we all make, but doesn't force any changes if we use a nonstandard word or spelling on purpose. I assume you've thought of things like adding common musical terms that aren't in a default word list.

Piccolo, sforzando, pianissimo, cor anglais, fuzztone, midi, stringendo, col legno, reverb.

only four hits in the above list. Not bad.

Reply #9
Hm... interesting. Just tried it for the first time, and the only words it complained about were "NoteWorthy" and "NWC".

Both definite candidates for the lexicon list. ;-)

Reply #10
Crotchets and semiquavers appear not to be allowed, let alone hemidemisemiquavers!

The singular crotchet and semiquaver are permissible however, even if rarely found in isolation.

Peter

Reply #11
Supper!  Watt wood eye due width tout mice bell czech her!