Skip to main content
Topic: Del segno question (Read 3509 times) previous topic - next topic

Del segno question

I also have tried to find this answer but maybe I'm not understanding.

I'm trying to use a Segno for the first time.  My hymn is in the format:

verse 1
(Segno) refrain
verse 2 (D.S.)
verse 3 (D.S)

I entered the music this way but the playback isn't working right.  What's happening is that the playback goes properly from verse 2 to the refrain (segno) but then at the end of the refrain it is stopping.  I cannot figure out how to get the playback to move on to verse three.

Can anyone offer advice?  (I never studied music, so you have to write in very BASIC terms!)

Thanks for your help.

Ann Scharpf

Re: Del segno question

Reply #1
You are not going to be able to do 2 Dal Segno redirections in the same NWC piece. You can see an example Dal Segno contstruction in the REPEAT4.nwc sample. Your example seems better implemented as simple repeats, with verse two and three as endings to the refrain.

Reply #2
I understand about special endings.  What I don't know how to do is make the special endings go back to the refrain instead of the beginning of the song, which is verse one.  (In this case the refrain does not start off the song.)

How do I go back to a specific point in the music without a segno?

Ann

Reply #3
For all multi-verse pieces, assuming that the music is the same each time, you can use the Local Repeat featurs which can loop as many times as you want (within reason). You can also hide the repeat barlines so that, as in published music, the verse repeats are implied rather than explicit.

You can write any Perfomance Flow Directions as text.

Reply #4
So, does that mean I do this?

verse 1

local repeat open
refrain

special ending 1
verse 2
local repeat close

special ending 2
verse 3
local repeat close

Reply #5
In your scenario, you need only add the Master Repeat Open before the refrain, and end verse 2 and 3 with a Master Repeat Close.