Skip to main content
Topic: Mutes (Read 9795 times) previous topic - next topic

Mutes

I know this isn’t really a NWC question, but there are so many knowledgeable people here.
I have a chart in my swing book which calls for R. R. Mute for all of the brasses.  Anybody know what this is?
Thanks,
Don

Re: Mutes

Reply #1
Would that happen to be Perfidia by Alberto Domínguez, Joe Pafumy arrangement?  We have this, too, and have been wondering about it.  I'm surprised Fred, Marsu, or any of the other "big guns" haven't replied yet.  They seem to know everything!

Reply #2
Being a sucker for a challenge, I had a look around. The closest I could find is that there is a manufacturer of wind accessories called RICO Royal (RR). Yeah, I know it's a long shot. Barry Graham, Carl Bangs, any wind guys out there?

Reply #3
Don,
RICO Royal is a sax reed I've been using for years.

Reply #4
I don't think I know many things, when I see what Fred, Carl, Andrew, Barry, Ertugrul and many others know...
I asked to my brother (who plays the trumpet), and he never seen this.
so we supposed that meant "Really Really Mute"... Maybe a kind of muting tool ("sourdine", I'm sorry I don't know the word in english: that conic thing you put at the other end of the instrument)?? My brother admits that Pianississimo is not the easiest thing with brass instruments ;)

Reply #5
That's a new one on me and I thought I had seen just about all the muting possibilities.  How old is the chart?  Was it published or manuscript?  If it's a manuscript, it could mean anything!

Reply #6
It is published - © 1939 Southern Music Publishing Co., Inc.; © 1941 Peer International Corporation.  I don't remember whether it is engraved or manuscript, though, because now it's NWCed.  I can't stand reading copies of copies of copies of copies of... or copies that lie crooked on the page, or have all of the key sigs cut off, so I did my entire books (I alternate first and third on most gigs.) using NWC.
NoteWorthy Software™ works for me!

Reply #7
entire books using NWC!   Don, did you made web pages with them?
I couldn't find you in NWC user music pages...

Reply #8
Sorry, I’m not in NWC user music pages, and I don’t have a website (Am I the only one?).  I wouldn’t post any of these anyway, because they are all just the 1st trombone parts (and 3rd trombone parts) to the 150-or-so charts we have in our books.  (Don’t think that would be too interesting...)

Reply #9
Well, I'm sure that at least one other trombonist in the world would be interested.
I've sometimes be surprised by the fact that for some files I had set on a web page which I thought un-interesting, a person who was looking for one of them sent me thanks...

If you needed it, why wouldn't another person need it too?

Reply #10
I’m not sure just how interested any other trombonists would be in jazz written in tenor clef.
I always get such looks...

Reply #11
ROTFL Yes, I can understand this :)
However, it's a 2-second operation to change the clef in NWC, so it may be usable anyway.
As a (sometimes) tenor singer, I prefer to have my part written in Soprano-8 clef rather than Bass clef, and this is rather quick to be done with NWC :)

Reply #12
Well, as I mentioned, I don’t have a website, so I guess it’s a mute point. ; )

Reply #13
Don,
I you post me your Email address I have a couple of scores that may interest you as a trombone player.
Kenton/Rugolo - "Collaboration" - with Milt Bernhart solo transcribed and "Interlude" - Kenton piano with trom section.

Reply #14
Barry,
Could not post my email address (Don’t ask...) so I found yours (assuming it’s still the hotmail account) and emailed you directly.

Looking forward to sharing,

Don

Reply #15
Hey, I'm a <trombonist>, too. I'm interested in all this music.

Reply #16
I spotted a chart in my swing band's library that called for "RAY ROBINSON" mutes for the trumpets. ("In A Mist", by the great Bix Beiderbecke; copyright 1927.)  Sure looks like a good guess for "R.R.", doesn't it?  Tracking down some information was a little more elusive.

First try was to search the internet; trying "Robinson Mute", there was a hit from a place that specializes in trombone mutes.  His ad listing for "Tenor Trombone Mutes/Straight Mutes/Humes & Berg Stonelined/$13" says the following:  "A fiber mute with the classic sound, very mellow, can be too soft for some modern playing, but it's inexpensive. If the music calls for "Robinson Mute", this is the one to use."

Second try was a query to a knowledgeable bandsman/friend. His reply was, "I had to take your query to a professional trumpet-player friend of mine now working in Germany.  He replied that the Ray Robinson mute was 'the hippest cup mute ever made.'  It had an especially warm, sensuous sound, he said."

Over the weekend, I came across a seldom-used cup mute in my own collection with this label:  THE NEW IMPROVED RAY ROBINSON CUP MUTE.  ALWAYS IN TUNE."  I acquired it years ago when a young relative quit playing trumpet.  It resembles the standard H&B cup mute without the scallops on the lip of the cup.  The interior of the cup is lined with something like black pressed felt.  I'll have to play with it a bit before I pass any judgment on the sound.

Of more interest to me now is "Who was Ray Robinson?"  What did he play?  When?  In which bands?  I've drawn a blank so far.  Any ideas out there?

Reply #17
Hey, PeterJ, thanks for the info! Now that we think it’s a Ray Robinson mute, any suggestions for substitutes if we can’t put our hands on any?

Thanks again,
Don

Reply #19
My dad, bandleader Ben Selvin (1898-1980) told me in the 1960s that he and Ray Robinson, a trumpet player, manufactured the mute based on Ray's design. Dad said it was quite popular for its mellow sound. Hope this helps.

Reply #21
Chances are that Steve Singer won't read this after 22 months, unless he checks 'recent' regularly. You could mail him and see if his mail address is still valid.

When my oldest brother learned to speak English (way before I did) he had a favourite joke:
My grandfather was a sewing machine...
My father was a sewing machine...
but I am a Singer!

I caught on later.