Skip to main content
Topic: Playback doesn't work anymore ! (Read 6023 times) previous topic - next topic

Playback doesn't work anymore !

This is very strange!
When I try to playback my NWC-songs, all I can hear is total silence, although no staff is muted.
The notes are highlighted during teh palyback, but there's just no sound.
I'v tried several songs, none of them works.
I use NWC 1.75b, as well as NWC2 2.0 1q and neither of both give any sound anymore.

Is there anyone who can give me a hint ?

Re: Playback doesn't work anymore !

Reply #1
O yes, I forgot to tell : there's nothing wrong mith my soundcart ot speakers: Windows Media Player, Itunes, Synthfont all work fine.

Reply #2
Hiya Opagust,
in the Windows "Volume Control" applet:
a) is the midi volume control turned down?
b) is midi muted?

A quick test, can you hear a midi playback from something like Van Basco?

I notice you are using synthfont, what if you change your midi output in NWC to a hardware synth?

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
Hi, Lawrie (always ready and stand by to help).
- How do I get in the Windows "Volume Control Applet"? (I'm using Windows XP Home Editon).
- What is Van Basco ?
- How do I change my midi output in NWC to hardware Synth ?

Reply #4
OK
- How do I get in the Windows "Volume Control Applet"?
It should be one of the icons in the "System Tray" - that's the area in the task bar that looks like its sunken in a bit - where the clock is.  The icon could one of several shapes depending on what sound card you have.  If you hover the mouse pointer over each of the icons there you should find it from the descriptions that pop-up.
If you can't find it there, go to | Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | Entertainment | Volume Control

- What is Van Basco ?
This is a great midi/karoke player.  I use it for all my straight midi playback.

- How do I change my midi output in NWC to hardware Synth ?
| Tools | Options | Midi tab

I've assumed you're trying to use Synthfont for your midi output.  Maybe I'm wrong?

I try to ensure I only have one selection in my "Devices used for playback" area at a time.

Lawrie

Reply #5
PROBLEM SOLVED !

In the volume control applet, the volume of the 'SW synth" was turned down. Don't know what or who caused it.

I shifted it up and the problem was solved.

Many, many thanks, Lawrie !

P.S.: Tools | Options | Midi tab : I figured that out myself, but I don't know how to change the midi output to 'hardware Synth'.
Under 'Availablke Play Devices', I have only 'Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth'.
Under 'Devices used by play back' : 'Microsoft MIDI-Mapper'.
And I can find no way to change any of them.

(But since the problem is history now, I don't think I need it, but if possible I'd like to try it, just out of curiosity)

Signed: Your humble and thankfull
Gust

Reply #6
Hi Gust,
PROBLEM SOLVED !

This is good.

From your description of available playback devices you don't have a sound card with a hardware synth so you can't check it out.  Sorry.

I haven't played with synthfont but I'm guessing that you could use midiyoke to "connect" NWC to synthfont and playback with synthfont as your synth, although the M$ Wavetable synth in XP actually isn't too bad - I've certainly heard worse.

If you want to try midiyoke I seem to recall a discussion on it either here on the forums or perhaps in the NG.

Perhaps someone else can shed some light as to whether I'm on the right track RE midiyoke and synthfont.

Lawrie

Reply #7
There are various software applications that "turn down" or mute some of the sound mixer sliders. I think it is supposed to make their software more usable, but it causes problems for other software that does not engage in such system mixer interference.

Reply #8
Also, you can open the system mixer at any time by doing the following:

• Press the Windows Start button
  • Select Run
  • Enter "Sndvol32.exe" and press Enter
Sometimes, you also have to go to Options, Properties and enable the volume controls that are supported by your sound card.

Reply #9
Discussion about manually invoking sndvol32.exe, have been made obsolete by Volume Control Command.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #10
Thanks a lot to all.

Opagust

Reply #11
Geen probleem, oop.