Skip to main content
Topic: Numbering Lyric Lines (Read 26265 times) previous topic - next topic

Numbering Lyric Lines

There is not a feature in NWC to automatically number the lyric lines. However, you can manually number each lyric line. In Edit: Lyrics, type "1._Firstword" You will see on the staff "1. Firstword" The number 1 will appear under the first note. To adjust this, select the first note, press Alt+Enter, under the Notes tab, increase Extra Note Spacing to 2. This will place the note over Firstword instead of 1.

Re: Numbering Lyric Lines

Reply #1
To make neat columns of verse numbers, put an extra note at the start of the part so the number lines up with it.  Then make that note's Visibility "never" and Properties "muted."  This keeps the numbers lined up without underscores, extra note spacing, etc.

Reply #2
You can tuck the verse numbers under the time signature for an even neater effect. You need to set the first two notes to "Lyrics Always".

Reply #3
Could you explain how you did that? I can't figure out how to add a lyric to the time signature.

Thanks,
Alastair

Reply #4
Could you explain how you did that? I can't figure out how to add a lyric to the time signature.
You can't add a lyric to a time signature. But you can put a grace note before the time signature as Peter did in his example. The lyrics are added to the staff in the normal fashion. Download his example file.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
Thanks Folks,
Now that is really niffty

Reply #6
I use a different method to apply verse numbers to lyrics. I prefer to see the verse number at the beginning of each system.
Peter's method is very neat, but has the limitation that it only appears on the first system (unless you copy the time sig and make it invisible, and add additional note spacing for subsequent systems, and also requires the verse number to be typed in the lyrics at the system break).
My method is to insert the verse numbers as text.
Insert 1. for the first verse, [using lyric text) add 4 spaces (or more, if you are aligning syllable using Standard Rules, and the first syllable on a system has more than 4 characters), select text, Preserve Width.
Then step down using the down arrow key the appropriate number of vertical spaces (4 for lyric text 11 font) and insert the next verse number. Do not insert spaces, or Preserve Width, for the 2nd and subsequent verse numbers. Select all verse numbers and copy to the beginning of subsequent systems.
This sounds complicated, but is very quick when you have used the method a number of times.

Reply #7
I always center my lyrics with my notes, so this is a bit harder to do, but basically you have to test different numbers of spaces in different places until they all (the words AND numbers) line up.  I've used this method only to start the verses...it would take too long to do every single line with the lyrics centered.

Reply #8
Thanks for the grace note trick - it doesn't show up on the file I downloaded from Peter's posting.

I'm not sure why you need to set the first TWO notes to Lyrics Always - it seems to be OK, just setting the grace note. The first real note was like that already.

BUT, it looks good.

LF

Reply #9
I'm not sure why you need to set the first TWO notes to Lyrics Always - it seems to be OK, just setting the grace note.
The grace note is tied to the first normal note. This makes the playback and MIDI export correct. By default neither would get a lyric. There are other variations, but this seems the most straightforward.

Reply #10
I see, thanks. I muted the grace note, which certainly seems to have a similar effect.

LF

Reply #11
I see, thanks. I muted the grace note, which certainly seems to have a similar effect.
Muting a grace note has the effect of delaying the onset of the next note/chord/rest on that staff by a 32nd note. Sometimes this cannot be heard, but the MIDI output is still wrong (except before a rest).
NWC2 Beta 2.26 changes the behavior of a muted grace note such that it no longer shifts the play back time for the note that follows it.

Edit: added strikeout and NoteWorthy Online reference.

Reply #12
I suppose it must do. For my purposes, this doesn't matter, as it's the first note of the piece, and there isn't a repeat to get messed up.

BUT, point well taken. Thanks.

LF