Skip to main content
Topic: Tied Notes Around Other Notes (Read 13177 times) previous topic - next topic

Tied Notes Around Other Notes

If you need to tie a pair of notes in one of two voices on a single clef, and there are intervening notes in the other voice between the notes you want to tie, just do this:

• Highlight the intervening notes and cut (Ctrl+X).
  • Do the tie (select the first note to be tied and press /).
  • Use paste (Ctrl+V) to reinsert the removed notes.

Re: Tied Notes Around Other Notes

Reply #2
I did it this way: put in the notes to be tied, tied them, then went back and added the other notes (voices) like you would a chord note. Just be sure stems of the first voice goes one way and stems of the second voice go the other way before you insert them.

Reply #3
I don't get the reason for entering notes and then removing them and adding them back in, nor do I see why you highlight before hitting the / key.  If you hit the  / key before you enter the note, it will automatically be tied to the next note of the same pitch.
First  hit the / key, then enter the note as well as the note it will be tied to. ( Whether or not it is in the next measure makes no difference). Then add the other untied notes in the chord or chords. Finally add the notes which come in between the tied notes. Unless there is a note in between that is the same pitch as the tied notes of the chord, there is no problem. Somehow this sounds more complicated than it really is!

Reply #4
Unless there is a note in between that is the same pitch as the tied notes of the chord, there is no problem. Somehow this sounds more complicated than it really is!
In that case layering is the solution. But - if both staves are on the same channel, then mute the shorter note, otherwise the longer one will be cut off.