Skip to main content
Topic: MIDI Playback disabled (Read 30627 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI Playback disabled

After installing drivers for my Ensoniq Sound Blaster PCI64, everytime I restart my PC I get this message " MIDI wave set can't be loaded, MIDI playback has been disabled" how do I go about enabling it? please help

Re: MIDI Playback disabled

Reply #1
This is obviously some kind of setup problem, or perhaps your computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements for the card. This question is best addressed further with the maker of your sound card.

Reply #2
First, see if the wavesets even exist. Look in Windows\System, you should have three files called eapci2m.ecw, eapci4m.ecw, and eapcmi8m.ecw plus there might be a default.ecw (just a copy of the presently active waveset).

To enable a waveset, right-click on the mixer icon (sort of a cyan coloured icon in the system tray) and bring up the configuration utility. Select the desired waveset, the 8 meg one will give the best sound.
However, I suspect that your problem runs deeper than that. Have a look in Control Panel -> Multimedia -> Advanced (or Devices, depending on Windows version) and look at the available midi devices. You should have two listings for Ensoniq, the internal midi (this is the one that uses the wavesets) and external midi. Look in Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager and see if there are any exclamation points.

Either way, I think what I'd do first is to remove all the PCI128 device drivers (in the Multimedia section) and also remove everything related to this card in the System section, then do a complete re-install.

HTH
Fred

Reply #3
thank u very much, it works

Reply #4
yeh. what fred said

Reply #5
Had similar prob to Danzo after downloading driver. The above mentioned files were missing. Found the first two on Win98 CDRom and copied them to driver folder. Then re-installed, skipped the last two and problem solved!
Thanks heaps Fred!

Reply #6
Yeah, I noticed that those files are missing too. Where can I finde those drivers in the Win98 cd? Is it found in a cab file somewhere??

Reply #7
No. They'd be on the Creative (or Ensoniq) install disk. You might still be able to find them on Creative's site, though I've noticed they're starting to drop some of the legacy files -- so don't delay.

Fred

Reply #8
just download the midi set files (2mb, 4mg, 8mg) @creative.com and copy them to your Windows\System Dir.
Then re install the driver!

Reply #9
These answers saved me a lot of headwork. I used the first 2 files found on the the Windows98 disc and skipped the 3rd file , it now works perfectly. I also saw these files on the the Creative web site(takes a bit long to download on my 56k)

Reply #10
Help me please, i need a file eapci2m.ecw
my file its clear, thaks

please help...

Reply #11
To Reply 10: sent via email

Reply #13
I've downloaded the waveset-files from creative.com and putted them inot the windows-system dir. After this i went to Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI -> Settings and choose 8M. After this the system loads this waveset.
Don't know if the hints above work too but this works fine.

ciao
George

Reply #14
Grazie molte a tutti: avevo lo stesso problema e l'ho risolto seguendo i vostri consigli!

Ciao,
Federico

Reply #15
Installando i driver per la scheda audio, mi mancano i file eapci2m.ecw , 4m , 8m. dove posso trovarli?

Reply #16
Potete ottenere le file che desiderate da Creative Labs

La file eapci2m.ecw è inclusa in SBAudioSetup_Win9x.zip.

Reply #17
WHAT CAN I DO? I can't understand it I'm from Holland...MIDI waveset has been disabled??    I can't understand it

Reply #18
Thanks, saved me a lot of work.
It worked 4 me!

Reply #19
as above

Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI -> and settings... add a waveset and then change it to 2 speaker.

g

Reply #20
Hi, it seems that some of you guys really know what you are talking about. So I come to you for help... I have a soundblaster PCI64 and I now have windows XP. I used to have windows 98 and I had a little thing called creative mixer in which I could play back AND Record midi. Now, I only have control volume from which I can't record midi file. I need to record midi to convert it from midi to wave. I went on the creative website, but I could not understand it too well and all I tried was useless so far... does anyone understand what my problem is? Can anyone help? Thanks a lot,
Martin - bellerim@hotmail.com

Reply #21
Martin: Search this forum for MIDI to WAV, and related kewords. The topic has been extensively discussed.

On my XP machine, I had to fool with the various control panels until I came up with an extended sound control panel. There was a "mixer" option that was not on by default. I turned it on, and all was well. But my sound card is different than yours.

Reply #22
Thanks for your reply. I will do as you say. I believe the key to my problem is that I don't see "Synth" when I go in my volume control/properties/record. That is why I posted my message here. I used to only mark "synth" in the record section, and all was well. Now, I don't have that option no more. I will go see in the midi to wave section. Thanks for your help!

Reply #23
I just looked at the midi to wave section. It did not help too much. I know how to convert them, but what is missing in my case is the midi (synth) option to check in my record section from my volume control. Can anyone help? Again I use a Soundblaster PCI 64.Thanks again.

Reply #24
The Options | Properties section is used to show or hide various volume controls. Maybe you simply have the Synth section hidden. If it is missing from there, then the Windows XP drivers either 1) do not support it, or 2) need to be updated to the driver set that adds such support.

Reply #25
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I checked and I don't have the "Synth" option. I believe I need the update for windows XP from my soundblaster PCI 64. But I can't seem to solve that problem... I downloaded the file :" eapci8m.ecw" but I don't know how to open or install it. I don't even know if that can help. does anyone know if I can do anything about it?
Martin

Reply #28
Thank's. You all helped a lot.

Reply #29
Thx ;)

On 98SE put the damn files in windows/system32/drivers rerun the setup proggie and done.

Reply #30
Worked like a charm. Just put the two files in the windows\system folder then right click on the icon in the tray and go to configuration and add. I used the 4meg with no problems.

Thanks Gentlemen...

Reply #31
the wavesets from the japanese site work really fine.
thank you.

Reply #32
Thank you, save me a lot of time.

Reply #33
Thanks A lot fellas i had trubble with the midi files and i got them but didnt know witch folder thay went in Nice one

Reply #34
Thank dude this really helped me out a bunch!
Cheers !

Reply #35
ok this is a thank you from romania lots of all you want

Reply #36
My goodness, this must be a record for Thank-you notes on this forum.

On behalf of the group and ourselves, you're all welcome!

Reply #37
Hi,

i still have problems with the pci card. the computer says MIDI wave set can't be loaded, MIDI playback has been disabled. I've uninstalled the soundcard, reboot the machine and installed the card again, but i,ve got no result. Does someone has any solution??

thanx

Robin (from Holland)

Reply #38
Robin: I cannot advise you about the sound card or wave definitions, since I do not have sufficient expertise with sound cards.

Can your computer play any sound at all (not MIDI)? If it can, then try using QuickTime to play the MIDI. QuickTime does not use the instrument definitions of your sound card. Instead, it uses its own software database. You do not need the "pro" version of QuickTime, but you do need the full installation.

The sound will not be the same as you would hear with a good sound card. But it will be about the same as you would hear with a basic sound card.

Reply #39
I think windows media player will also play back midi files.

Reply #40
Yes, Windows Media plays MIDI. But on my old Windows 98 computer, it used whatever was in the sound card, not its own sound database. So if the problem is sound card wavetable, if if the user has that kind of arrangement, Windows Media won't help. I believe that more recent versions are like QuickTime, in that they have their own instrument database, and do not rely on the soundcard.

Reply #41
Have a question... can usb devices use the waveset table? If so can someone please tell me how to make the link pls.

Reply #42
Hi,

How do I make sure that my system uses 8m waveset.  I am asking this because, even after I set it to 8m (by browsing and selecting the EAPCI8M.ECW file;the selected item shows up as "8 MB GM/GS Waveset ver 5"), when I go back to "Adjust Audio properties" (right clicking sound icon on taskbar), double click "SB PCI(WDM)" on hardware tab and checking the settings, it still shows me "2 Megabyte General MIDI".  Also in the dropdown menu, I see only "2 Megabyte General MIDI" and a black item.  Am I adding it properly.  Model number of my sound card is CT4810 (Creative).

Does using 8M waveset make any difference while listening to mp3 and other movie files (including DVD movies?).

Thanks

Rama

Reply #43
Also, I did not notice any (not even slightest) sound difference after changing to 8m waveset.  I went to Device Manager, uninstalled "SB PCI(WDM)" and re-installed the drivers (using SBPCI_WebDrvsV5_12_01.exe that I downloaded from Creative site for CT4810), but still not able to set 8m waveset.  Everytime I set it and go back to "SB PCI(WDM)" properties, I see only "2 Megabyte General MIDI" (that's the default).  I dont see "8 MB GM/GS Waveset ver 5" even in the dropdown list.  Also, I tried copying the file EAPCI8M.ECW to C:\winnt\system, C:\winnt\system32 and C:\winnt\system32\drivers directory, still it does not reflect in the dropdown list of available wavesets.

Please help me in this.

Thanks

Rama

Reply #44
I was able to add 8M waveset to my CT4810 card finally!  I uninstalled SB PCI(WDM) driver, uninstalled all creative softwares, restarted the PC, windows automatically detected SB PCI (WDM) and then copied eapci8m.ecw file onto C:\winnt\system directory and imported from "Add Waveset" and it worked!

Dont know what exactly made the difference, but it worked.

Thanks,

Rama

Reply #45
I loaded windows media player v10 on my PC. Media is playing and no sound is comimg out of my speakers. I have win xp and my sound card is ensoniq sb pci128.

Reply #46
" MIDI wave set can't be loaded, MIDI playback has been disabled"

At last that doesn´t show up any more.

Thank you very much!!!!

kicama

Reply #47
Thank you all SO MUCH - success is sweet