Skip to main content
Topic: No Viewer Available (Read 3816 times) previous topic - next topic

No Viewer Available

I have created some html with an "embed" tag in it to run an nwc file remoteley over the web. It works fine when I test it with my PC, but doesn't work for a friend's PC.

He gets an error message that says:

"There is no viewer available for the type of object you are trying to open. The following information is available about this object:

Address of object:
http://www.classicalfree.org/music/grace-1.nwc
Content type:
application/octet-stream
Possible location of viewer:
http://note...plugin.htm"

Noteworthy Player _is_ installed on the PC that doesn't work. The samples play with no problem on his PC and in Explorer under Tools | File Types, there _is_ an association between Noteworthy Player and nwc file types. This may not be significant, but Noteworthy _Composer_ is installed on the PC that does work. The following code runs on the website:

<center>
<table border=1 width=500 class=white>
<tr><td ALIGN=CENTER class=red><b>PLAY</b></td></tr>
<tr><td>Click on the blue triangle-shaped start button below to start
<br>Click on the magnifying glass with a (+) in it to enlarge
<br>Click on the magnifying glass with a (-) in it to reduce</td></tr>
<tr><td><embed src="music/grace-1.nwc" width=500 height="250" pluginspage="http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/plugin.htm" type="application/x-nwc"></td></tr>
</table>
</center>

The type is set to application/x-nwc (not sure why the error message thinks it's octet-stream). The PC that doesn't work is running Windows 98 with internet explorer 5.5 through netzero.net. The PC that does work is running WinME with AOL 6.0.

Any thoughts?

Re: No Viewer Available

Reply #1
There is no need to have NWPlayer installed.
What you need is the NWPlug-in.
Refer to http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/plugin.htm (as correctly specified in your embed statement)

You don't need to remove NWP!! you can have it or not, as you may have (or not) NWC.

The trouble seems to be either IE5.5 with win98 WITH netzero.net
the plug-in works with win98, with IE5.5 either; what is namezer.net ?

And first of all, did you install NWPlug-in? I tried your nwc file and it works fine for me.

HTH!

Reply #2
If you are using the EMBED html tag, then your visitors MUST have the plug-in installed in order to view your content.

>Content type:
>application/octet-stream

If you are planning to use the EMBED, you should really also be setting the correct NWC MIME type for the object as indicated on the plug-in download page.

Reply #3
In other words, "Noteworthy Player" and "Noteworthy Plug-In" are two different things.

Reply #4
Ok, do I have this straight? The way it works is that when you install the plug-in it notifies the browser of its existence so that when the browser encounters a file with the appropriate MIME type it knows what to do with it.

Anybody know what files/registry entries are referenced in this process? I think the IE settings are in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Plugins/Extensions. What about Netscape? Where are they located? I downloaded the plugin and told it I had IE and Netscape, but do not see any references in the registry tying Netscape to nwc.

I can see a potential for human error if I send new visitors to the plugin.htm page. The first link is to "Composer". If the visitor has no idea what a plugin is or why it's required, they might click to the "Composer" page, get lost, and/or download "Player" and wonder why things don't work. Just a thought: Would it be possible to move the link to "Composer" lower down on the page (below the fold), so that the Plugin download was more prominent?

I'm going to get my "beta tester" to check his control panel to make sure the "plug in" is installed. I'll let you all know how it all turns out. Thanks for all the feedback: Joe Music, NoteWorthy Online and Marsu.

Bob

PS: I checked the control panel on my own PC and I didn't have the plug in, but I did have composer and player, and it seemed to work on my PC. I have since downloaded the plugin also.

Reply #5
> but do not see any references in the registry tying Netscape to nwc

What makes you think you should see registry references for Netscape? Hint: The MIME type association is inside the plug-in, as dictated by the Netscape Plug-in Spec. Microsoft no longer conforms to the spec, having instead forced a proprietary method on developers.

Reply #6
Your comment about the plugin page makes sense. It has now been changed.

Reply #7
>> Your comment about the plugin page makes sense.
>> It has now been changed.

Thanks. Appreciate the rapid response. You guys are great!

Reply #9
>>I'm going to get my "beta tester" to check his
>>control panel to make sure the "plug in" is
>>installed. I'll let you all know how it all
>>turns out. Thanks for all the feedback:
>>Joe Music, NoteWorthy Online and Marsu.

Here's the "end-of-the-story". After installing the plugin everything works perfectly. Thanks again for your patience and all the feedback.