Skip to main content
Topic: sheet music (Read 17258 times) previous topic - next topic

sheet music

hello all!
someone here has the Queen - "Bohemian rhapsody" sheet music?
if you do, please send it to me, its very importent
thanks
adva

Re: sheet music

Reply #1
Maybe somebody does (I don't). But for something that recent, the sheet music is likely to be copyright protected.

Reply #2
Recent??? Haha, Bohemian Rhapsody was written in the 80s...

Reply #3
That is recent for copyright.

Reply #4
I think what "Pretty Dumb" is trying to say is that he/she wasn't born until afterwards. Actually, wasn't "Bohemian Rhapsody" from the '70s?

Folks, someday Megadeath and Eminem will be "Golden Oldies."

Reply #5
Joe, I wish you'd learn to mis-spell correctly ;-)

It's "Megadeth"... and if you asked our 15-year-old, he'd tell you that both groups mentioned are already ancient history.

Reply #6
New great rule for copyright. If it was written before you were born - use it. If it was written after you were born, find someone younger than you :-)

Reply #7
Careful of rules of thumb - they can get you into really serious trouble.

Copyright - in Canada the basic rule in the copyright act is:

Term of copyright
6. The term for which copyright shall subsist shall, except as otherwise expressly provided by this Act, be the life of the author, the remainder of the calendar year in which the author dies, and a period of fifty years following the end of that calendar year.

I believe in the US the rule is 75 years. If you live there, you should check - your law is probably available on the web.

The Canadian copyright act can be seen at http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/actfull-e.html#s6

The Canadian copyright act has provisions covering ownership of copyright in 1924, so it appears the law was significantly changed or introduced in that year. I believe music written before 1924 is now in the public domain, as, in Canada at least, would be anything written by anyone who died before 1951, or instance, Glenn Miller, Fats Waller.

The works of Duke Ellington (d.1974) and Irving Berlin (d.1989) are still protected in Canada and the US as long as they were written after 1923.

I am NOT a lawyer, and my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it - NOTHING. I do recommend finding out the rules before going offside, though, rather than guessing at what the law is.

Reply #8
As always, please take the following comments on legal matters to be as unreliable as any rumour you might hear. I am not a lawyer my comments are based on my uncertain memory of something or other I read somewhere, some time. CHECK before acting on it!

I understand that there is an international convention on copyright that makes the terms of copyright where a work is published apply in all other countries that are signatures to the convention. So, in the UK for example, the duration of copyright on a work published in the US will be lifetime plus 75 years and for a Canadian work it would be lifetime plus 50 years and you could be liable under UK law if you infringe the copyright of such works.

I believe that there are some countries around (Russia?)that are not signatories to the convention. I wonder what would be the status of stuff published on a web site hosted in a non-signatory country?

Stephen

Reply #9
Hey if anyone has the sheet music to Bohemian Rhapsody for the piano, may you please send it to me.

Reply #10
Didn't we just cover this?

I know the piano music exists; I have seen it but cannot tell you the publisher, etc.

You can do a search for the MIDI and import into NWC, but I am uncertain of the legalities of doing this, especially if you plan to distribute it to other people.

Reply #11
As to reply 8 from Stephen.  My understanding is the copyright laws of the country you are physically doing the copying in are the rules that apply.

Fats Waller died in 1943.  His compositions are public domain in Canada today (expired 50 years after his death), but are protected until 2018 in the US.

In Canada I can freely photocopy and distribute his compositions, but I'd be in trouble if I did that in the States.

The US copyright laws are well explained at the Library of Congress site, here:

http://www.loc.gov/copyright/

This is from that site's FAQ
The Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act, signed into law on October 27, 1998, amends the provisions concerning duration of copyright protection. Effective immediately, the terms of copyright are generally extended for an additional 20 years. Specific provisions are as follows:

*  For works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection will endure for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years. In the case of a joint work, the term lasts for 70 years after the last surviving author’s death. For anonymous and pseudonymous works and works made for hire, the term will be 95 years from the year of first publication or 120 years from the year of creation, whichever expires first;

*  For works created but not published or registered before January 1, 1978, the term endures for life of the author plus 70 years, but in no case will expire earlier than December 31, 2002. If the work is published before December 31, 2002, the term will not expire before December 31, 2047;

*  For pre-1978 works still in their original or renewal term of copyright, the total term is extended to 95 years from the date that copyright was originally secured.

Reply #12
Mercury wrote Bohemian Rhapsody in '69 while getting head and playing on a plexiglass piano. True story.. tho I wish it weren't. Page 85 in 'The Dirt ' says so.

Reply #13
MY MISTAKE... and how horrid of me. The song wasnt 'till thier 3rd album wich came out in '75. '69 would be when they came around. .. and the sheet music is bloody hard to find for free cuz all I need are a few notes so they can be TATTOOED on my arm. Seriously.

Reply #14
I have it in "Queen Deluxe Anthology" pg 94-102.
I won't send the whole thing, but if you let me know what you need for your arm, I'll look it up.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #15
mucho thanks man! I just need the notes that start up at 'Mamma , just killed a man' Cuz they pretty much just repeat those 7 or so no?

Reply #16
Treble Clef, 2 flats, (4/4 implied)
Bar 17 Master Repeat Open: Chord Bb
d 8th beamed to d 8th tied to d half, 8th rest b 8th

Bar 18: Chord Gm
c 8th beamed to d 8th, d half, 8th rest, c 16th beamed to d 16th

Bar 19: Chord Cm
4 8th notes beamed: efed, c quarter, c 8th beamed to d 8th

Bar 20: Chord F (at beat 3)
4 8th notes beamed: efed, c quarter, quarter rest.

This gets you through:
Ma-ma__    just
killed a man,  Put a
gun a-gainst his head, pulled my
trig-ger, now he's dead.

Reply #17
Those E's are really E flats, and the B is really a B flat.
(I know it says Treble Clef, 2 flats, but if I see "e" I think "E natural."  You should call it what it is.)

Reply #18
I did

Reply #19
Awesome! Thanks Rick!

Reply #20
I agree with Pam.
You wrote efed, when in fact you should have written E flat F E flat D.
An E is not an E flat, and vice versa.

Reply #21
your all pretty spastic.

Reply #22
You're pretty spastic yourself...