What happened to the Cyber Hymnal? My browser stalls when
attempting to go there. Has the URL changed? I love this
valuable source of hymns.

Re: Cyber Hymnal

Reply #2
tch.simplenet.com works for me.

<shameless plug>Check out the new MIDI files at the
Christian Classics Ethereal Library: http://ccel.org/cceh

Regarding which, I have a question. Webmaster wants to know what mime type to set for .nwc files?

Reply #3
Thank you.
I tried it once again and it works now.
Your responses were appreciated.

Reply #4
Regarding mime type - safest and 100% reliable one is application/octet-stream (same goes for any other suffixes that you want handled unconditionally as binary).

Reply #6
Harrys's URL for the Cyber Hymnal (shown immediately aboe) is correct as of January 20, 2001. I just checked it.

Be sure that you use that exact URL -- If you don't, you may be re-directed to an unrelated web site.

Reply #7
What ever happen to (Cybor Hymms, http://tchsimplenet.com). Is there a new web site for Cybor Hymms? I really enjoyed listening to the hymms. Please bring it back..

Reply #9
I have been blessed by the hymns for almost a year on our webtv.  I had it as one of my favorites.  Now suddenly I can't get it anymore. What happened?  I've been in touch with msn  and they can get it with computer but not with webtv.  I really think it is the best for the hymns.  I especially like the biographicals.  Can you tell me how I can get it again.??  April 22, 2003

Reply #10
Well, the site is still there, but it does not validate as "proper" html. This might be why it doesn't work on web TV. You might consider emailing the proprietor of the site at mail*AT*cyberhymnal.org (replace *AT* with the @ symbol) with a bug report on this issue.

Or else, consider getting a computer. I have a sense that incompatibilities with web TV will only get worse as time goes on.

Reply #11
Cyber Hymmal just worked OK for me. WinXP, Netscape 7.

Reply #12
I just sent CyberHymnal the following email, so it shouldn't be necessary to deluge them further:

I have been a registered user of the NoteWorthy Composer for about five years and have visited your website from time to time.  Normally when I select a file in *.nwc format my browser will automatically open the Composer, but on your site the file appears as text starting with "[NWZ]" followed by random characters.

Please ask the company which hosts your website to treat all *.nwc files as binary.  If a forum hosted by NoteWorthy, a suggestion has been made that a file named ".htaccess" placed in the same directory as your "nwc" files with the contents:

AddType application/x-nwc nwc

might correct the problem.

NoteWorthy has also provided the following tool to check out "nwc" files in any website:

http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/webtool/geturl-nwc-header.php
Since 1998

Reply #13
Also, the current Cyber Hymnal cover page has JavaScript errors that will prevent most users from following the links to some of the sub-pages. I sent them an e-mail with the debug report.

Some of their links do work, even with the script error.

For those having trouble with NWC files being served as ASCII, maybe it would help to do this:

(a) Right-click and download the offending file (it will be saved as ASCII).

(b) I believe the NWC player has the capability to recognize the format error, and (maybe) fix it. If not, the back-up plan might be to try the "ASC2BIN" command-line utility from:
http://ww2.netnitco.net/users/cruth/download.html

Alas, I am not currently at a computer where I can try this myself, or I would have done so first. Is there anyone who can try it and report?

Reply #14
Since up-grading to Internet Explorer 6, I cannot access the Scores section of Cyber-hymnal. All I get is a blank screen with a tiny icon.  I sent them an Email, but they had no feed-back to offer.  I can access scores via their zip-files, but this is very tedious.  Can anyone shed some light on this matter.
Regards
Ken

Reply #15
I just checked. Works for me on IE6, Windows XP, all the updates. I also run a lot of security software, which sometimes blocks parts of web sites (but not in this case).

Perhaps they changed a page component (such as style sheet or script) that is not being re-loaded when you re-load the HTML page? If so, then clear your cache or shift-reload.

On AOL, there was a time when the AOL browser (flavor of IE) didn't fully clear cache or re-load even when requested. I don't know if it still does that.

Reply #16
It sounds like you have the NWC Browser Plug-in installed, but Internet Explorer is not starting it correctly. You can try uninstalling the NWC Browser Plug-in, then rebooting your system. This might clear the problem and enable you to use the NWC files from the Cyber Hymnal again.

See also: news headline #21