Skip to main content
Topic: Special Endings (Read 5931 times) previous topic - next topic

Special Endings

I am working on a piece which has special endings (1st and 2nd endings, etc.) which take up more than one measure. Is there any way to make the horizontal line associated with the special ending symbol extend over multiple measures i.e. the entire special ending? I am more concerned at this point with how it looks than how it plays back.

Re: Special Endings

Reply #1
Currently, NWC does not support any extension to this line beyond the first measure.

Reply #2
I too wish this was an added feature. Extend ending xx measures, or somesuch.  Workaround involved using my old analog graphite printer (my pencil) and a straight edge.

Reply #3
Agreed. Special Endings are among the least flexible visual aspects of NoteWorthy. A shame since clear flow is one of the most important aspects of printed music. I'd rather be playing in the wrong key than in the wrong place.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
There is always a workaround which is a little better in NWC2 than it used to be. 

Use two right justified text entries where you want the bracket to end.  One is simply the "pipe" symbol | from the Staff Symbols font, or if you want a bracket with a short horizontal line ending with a vertical line, use lower-case w from Boxmark2. 

The other is a string of upper-case C s from that font or from Boxmarks.  You need to use two text entries to properly match the heights of the _________  and the |.

Instead of these symbols, you can use ALT-0176 and ALT-0177 found in Lawrie's Music Tex Sans font suite but I find the lines are a little heavy and if I reduce the font size, the horizontal line doesn't seem to extend the distance needed.

Reply #5
I like the bold lines...  ;)  It's always possible to use the font in 2 different sizes if need be, one for whatever use you normally have and another for the special ending extenders...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #6
Good suggestions ...

...  Still, an issue ought to be noted ...

Optional font suites like Boxmarks, Boxmark2, and Lawrie's excellent 'Dings' suites (Sans and Serif) are not native in NoteWorthy.

That's a serious issue.  They add symbols that are not in the native NWC font, but are required in scores.

They ought to be native.

Consider the new NWC user or prospective user.

A new user installing the software, being just introduced to Viewer with a hope of being attracted to Composer, is not likely to know of the need for 'extra' font suites early on.  There is plenty of else to do, to get started.

Their focus is on reading and hearing the music.  Technical complexity is a turn-off.

A first view of an NWC score, without those font suites already installed, can be discouraging.  That's putting it mildly.

Today those font suites have been used in many NWC scores over the years. 

But to the new NoteWorthy user, they're extraneous, extra downloads.  Not a single notice shows during the Viewer or Composer trial download that they might be required to view the music  --  including the user's favorite score that attracted them to NoteWorthy in the first place.

It's a hole in the ground.

And for Lawrie's 'Dings' suite, the user can't even find it directly in the NoteWorthy site's 'Search' field.  It's an obscure search path.

It's 'way too much to ask a new user to stumble upon, by eventually looking at NWC's 'Fonts' tab, that he or she should have already loaded some other font. 

Early on, the new user sees screwy text characters that have nothing to do with music.  They look like notation errors.

Instead of a smooth, gradual welcoming introduction to NWC Viewer and Composer, there is complexity.

- - -

People to whom I try to introduce NWC scores are  _not_  tech-savvy download giants. 

They want a music score and a viewer to begin with.  (I hope to graduate some of them to NoteWorthy Composer).  And they want to go right to the music.

So very many NWC scores use those font suites now.

It's high time to bundle them into the Viewer and Composer downloads.

Joe

Reply #7
You're right.  However, my primary and longstanding frustration is NWC's treatment of slurs.