Skip to main content
Topic: bug (Read 3594 times) previous topic - next topic

bug

I wrote a song that started with a half note in the first bar. When I exported as a midi file noteowrthy stuffed up my song and started the first bar of the midi file with the half note that should have been in a bar of its own (as written in the midi file).
in other words my song got taken totally out of alignment. I had to insert 3 and a half more beats into the start of the song and export again. so noteowrthy had no logic in exporting my file. any musician would read the song and play the note on the 3.5 beat as i had written and then play the next bar. in future i will remember to treat noteworthy as a dumb non-musician :)

Re: bug

Reply #1
as a note to my last message i had written out a chord sheet for my song. the midi wasn't aligned with my song as i had expected noteworthy to create a midi properly. i found this highly annoying.

Reply #2
What you are describing is just how MIDI files work. MIDI files are just the performance of the piece. They do not include bar lines, so your bar line placement in NWC is irrelevant to the resulting MIDI file after an Export operation.

See https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=782 for more details.

Reply #3
You can either - pad the first bar with rests or insert a Section Open barline after the pickup note.

Reply #4
"When I exported as a midi file noteowrthy stuffed up my song and started the first bar of the midi file with the half note that should have been in a bar of its own (as written in the midi file)."
..."any musician would read the song and play the note on the 3.5 beat as i had written and then play the next bar. "

What are they doing reading the midi file? Wouldn't they just read the printout?

btw: A double bar after an anacrusis will allow the Automatic bar feature to work, in case by export you actually meant using the autobarring feature.

A

Reply #5
"any musician would read the song
and play the note on the 3.5 beat
as i had written"

This is perfectly logical.

You guys tried to mock this but you're crazy.

firstly, i created a lead sheet using Noteworthy.
the first bar had a quaver in it.

when I exported the ntoeworthy file as a midi file, and tried to record my chords to it the midi file had been stuffed by noteworthy.

when i played chords along to it the song was out of whack.

I'm right.
I expected noteworthy to put the note in the right part of the bar and it didn't.

""""
MIDI files are just the performance of the piece. They do
not include bar lines,
""""

of course they do. MIDI files contain bars, measures, whatever you want to call them. I can record a midi file and the first note of it can be on the 3.5 beat! :)

""""
You can either - pad the first bar with rests
""""
Thanks Barry, this is what I said I did===
quote: I had to insert 3 and a half more beats into the start of
the song and export again.

Andrew didn't read what I wrote... he said:
"""What are they doing reading the midi file? Wouldn't they just read the printout? """

I never said they read the midi file. I said they would read the song, or the lead sheet i created with noteworthy.

Thanks anyway!!
just thought I'd clear this up

Reply #6
> MIDI files contain bars, measures, whatever you want to call them

No, they do not. Although they do include key signatures and time signatues, they do not include any other notation convention that would indicate where bar lines should be placed.

FYI: MIDI files also do not include repeat signs, jumps/flow redirections (CODA/SEGNO/FINE), fermatas, etc.

Reply #7
you quoted "MIDI files are just the performance of the piece. They do not include bar lines..."
and replied "of course they do. MIDI files contain bars, measures, whatever you want to call them. I can record a midi file and the first note of it can be on the 3.5 beat! :)"
I'm tempted to think that you use NWC to load MIDI files and save your work only in MIDI format. In which case I confirm that you'll lose information such as bars, since it DOES NOT exist in midi specifications.
On the contrary, NWC saves (in NWC format) much more information than MIDI files do. Even if NWc does not read everything from midi files, it just exports them correctly.
If you start a piece with an uncomplete measure, it will be saved as so in midi files, which just contains the notes and length. So when trying to re-import the thing, NWC will automatically place bars in what you call wrong places... since it supposes that the first measure is complete, for the reason that there is no way is MIDI format to tell where the bar should be. If you use NWC format, no trouble!

HTH