Skip to main content
Topic: MP3 to MIDI (Read 29922 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 to MIDI

Is there anyway to change an MP3 to a MIDI file?? PLEASE tell me if there is.

Thanks,
/Matt

Re: MP3 to MIDI

Reply #1
The short answer -- no. The long answer -- there are programs that purport to convert wav files into midi, but the results are, to say the least, unpredictable. (If you want to experiment with this, you'll have to first convert the mp3 back to wav format using an mp3 decoder, or more simply by recording it as a wave whilst playing it on your mp3 player.)

This question seems to come up quite regularly (see earlier threads), and my answer now as always is to use this as a challenge to work on your ear training and transcribing abilities! Have fun.

Reply #2
This question recently came up on another NG I frequent, this is one of the answers. I have no experience with this product whatsoever.

"The program is called "WAV2MID" and it costs about £49.95 (Sterling) - so about $70 and you can get it from:

http://www.audioworks.com
"

If anyone wants to give this a go, please post and tell us how well it worked for you.

HTH,

Sue

Reply #4
I have tried WAVE2MID and it is sort of OK with simple tunes on single clear instruments (I tried it on the descant recorder and with whisteling) but it is hopeless on anything else. I think that it is expecting too much for a programme of this type to recognise multi instruments.

Reply #5
Is there any way to convert MIDIs into MP3s

Reply #7
Is there any way to Convert Mp3 to Mod,XM, or S3M??
Please Reply Thanx

Reply #8
digital ear

Reply #9
Ah - Computer Wizard - I have been searching for so long for a simple solution to this problem.
I have a short section of mp3 (150Kb) I would like to convert to a midi file.
Would you be willing to convert it for me.
I will post the resulting midi file in the NWC newsgroup so others users can evaluate the effectiveness of your simple method.
Reply here with your email address if you are willing.

Reply #10
Well just follow this to convert mp3 to midi

To download the 2 programs mentionned email me and i'll send them to you.

First Launch MP32WAV and convert the mp3 into wave

Next launch sound2mid or wave2mid and convert the wave into midi

simple as that

Computer_Wizzard

.-""""""""-.
/computer \
| wizzard |
|, .-. .-. ,|
| )(__/ \__)( |
|/ /\ \|
(@_ (_ ^^ _) I know it, I know it all
_ ) \_______\__|IIIIII|__/__________________________
(_)@8@8{}<________|-\IIIIII/-|___________________________>
)_/ \ /
(@ `--------`

Reply #11
where do you get wav2mid

Reply #12
Is there any way to convert an mp3 into a midi with a mac? If there is, then please tell me.

Reply #13
I don't mean to sound flippant but this is the truth.

The only reliable way to convert the mp3 to a midi file with your mac is to play back the file many times and transcribe what you hear by ear.
I'm sorry but this is the only way it can be done (and will be for many years to come).

If you do have a reasonable ear you may find the "Musicians CD Player" useful (download a trial version from
http://www.ronimusic.com ).
It will allow you to record sections of the mp3 for playback in a loop with the option to change pitch and/or speed.

Reply #14

Thanks,

Reply #15
Hey, Bob: have you met Matt? It appears you two have a lot in common.

Reply #16
I only know of one reliable way for changing an MP3 file into a MIDI file. Here it is:

(1) Put your MP3 file onto a diskette.
(2) Give the diskeete to someone who is reallly big, really mean, and preferably somewhat drunk.
(3) Have your friend say "This [censored] is a [censored] MIDI file, and if any of you [censored] disagree, I'll [censored] your [censored]."

Reply #17
There is a program that will take a mp3, and do all the conversion itself. It is called Widi. (www.widisoft.com)

The demo version doesn't let you save the .mid file, and as said before, the results are unpredictable. You'll have to use nwc to clean up the resulting midi, but most of the notes you want will be there.

At least it got all the important notes I was looking for.

Reply #18
You may want to check out Intelliscore. It converts directly from MP3 to MIDI. It also lets you use your analog instrument or voice as a real-time MIDI controller, like a MIDI guitar but without the special hardware.

You can download a trial version from http://www.intelliscore.net. The trial version will let you save the first 15 seconds of the MIDI file.

Reply #19
Steve:

I was a beta tester for Intelliscore Polyphonic.
I regret to say mp3/wav to MIDI still has a long way to go.
Despite my wanting the software to perform I couldn't produce a useable MIDI from any multi-part score no matter what settings I used.

The best tool I have for this purpose is Roni Music's - Musicians CD Player with the mp3 plug in.
This allows you loop a wav/mp3/CD in sections and transcribe what you hear.
It will also transpose/tune the output or slow down/speed up in combination. (Useful when lifting the bass part out of the mud)!
There are several more recent tools there I haven't tried.
http://www.ronimusic.com

Reply #20

Thank you!!!
Sakis.

Reply #21
This is the third question on this topic with the same wording.

Looks like this is a setup for someone else to answer promoting some commercial software which claims to convert wav to mid but, as usual, fails to deliver.

I have tried them all - they don't work with multi-part scores - end of story.
When they do I will be right in line to use them.
In the meantime aural transciption is the only way.

Reply #22
one great site to find all freeware tools is www.webattack.com

You'll also find mp32wave and wave2midi progs there.

Reply #23
Barry: You may be right about the commerical plugs, but not necessarily. I am told that anything involving M**P**(numeral) is hot on search engines, particular for the ex-N**pst**r crowd. As you know, this forum can be reached directly from a search engine. I suspect that the miscellaneous postings come from outside, in that fashion, by individuals who don't even know what site they are on. Note that they are often from names that do not appear elsewhere in the forum, or in any other context. The threads often go months at a time, without response. The N**Pst**r crowd has no interest in music publishing or composition.

Reply #24
This doesn't explain why three of the messages have exactly the same wording, down to details of capitalization, misspelling ("anyway" rather than "any way") and the double question mark.

It's not likely that 3 people all hit on these details independently, nor is it much more likely that persons 2 and 3 liked person 1's posting so much they just copied it unchanged and signed their names to it. I like Barry's explanation much more than either of these.