Skip to main content
Topic: Different Line Thickness in printing Metafiles (Read 4150 times) previous topic - next topic

Different Line Thickness in printing Metafiles

Whereas I manage to get near perfect printed scores with the "copy from preview" feature, the end product exported to, say, Word Files or Page Maker files, is always printed with lines of different thickness, in random fashion.
Can anyone help......? This It is the only hurdle towards a perfectly printed score, worthy of publishing. This fault shows up whether one exports placeable metafiles,or clipboard (Windows format Metafiles).
Thank you all.
Beppe Torchio

Re: Different Line Thickness in printing Metafiles

Reply #1
The way I've managed to overcome this same problem is:
1) Print to file (*.prn)
2) Open the .prn in Ghostscript
3) Convert to tiff format (*.tif)
4) Insert the .tif file, as a graphic, in the word processing application (I use StarOffice).

Good luck!

Reply #2
Simon, thanks so much, specially for the prompt reply... I'll follow your "steps"..... Regards.Beppe Torchio

Reply #3
This can happen if you make some enlargements (vertically) to the image file.
You can experiment the same if you stretch an image (for example, a screen copy) in Word.
Try to stretch the image at various values, and you'll find the correct one.
HTH!

Reply #4
When a WMF is copied from NWC, its resolution (dpi) is equal to whatever resolution happens to be set for the selected printer, at the moment the WMF is created.

Suggestion: Either increase or decrease the printer resolution, before you create the WMF. Generally, if a WMF (at 300 dpi or less) is scaled when placed in a document (the usual situation), the round-off error may be noticeable, even if printed to the same printer used when the WMF was created. If possible, create the WMF at 600 dpi. If necessary, install a phantom printer (to file) at the necessary resolution, just to be used when the WMF is copied out of NWC.

Just a few weeks ago, I used 600 dpi WMFs from NWC in MS Word, at various scales, and was delighted with the printouts.

A WMF copied from NWC includes white-space margins when inserted into applications such as MS Word. Thus, even if page size and margins are identical in NWC and in the word processor, the placed WMF is scaled down to accomodate the double margins. Be sure to crop excess.

Using WMFs is tricky. I have two non-music applications that did not correctly calculate WMFs (from any source) when placed. Symbols were misaligned. On the other hand, inspection of a WMF from NWC, using a professional drawing application, shows that the WMF is correct.