Skip to main content
Topic: NWC won't open downloads (Read 3585 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC won't open downloads

NWC won't open files found in my downloads folder. When I click on an *.nwc file, NWC starts but there is no file appearing in the work area.  The same thing happens when I open NWC first, choose open and navigate there.

Any ideas as to what happened? TIA
Since 1998

Re: NWC won't open downloads

Reply #1
Corrupted downloads?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
I copied two from my downloads directory to a folder I already have set up for NWC files and one of them opened.
Since 1998

Reply #3
No problem!
From the "Download" folder NWC files open regularly.
Happy Sunday to you.
Lorenzo

Reply #4
I copied two from my downloads directory to a folder I already have set up for NWC files and one of them opened.
The one that opened, I assume you tested it specifically from the downloads folder too just in case it's OK in that location?

OTOH, given how m$ have screwed with the file system, you haven't lost some kind of rights to the location/files?

Reply #6
It seems NWC will open a file if I open NWC, choose File ->Open, navigate to my Downloads, and click on the file. However, if I get to it using the file system or the browser's look at recent downloads, double-clicking on it would open NWC but not a work area for the file--just a big grey area under the toolbars.
Since 1998

Reply #7
Something to do with the file system associations in the registry?  Perhaps the wrong/corrupted directive?

Check this registry key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\NWC2.EXE\shell\open\command

It should contain the following:
NameTypeData
(default)REG_SZ"C:\Program Files (x86)\Noteworthy Software\NoteWorthy Composer 2\nwc2.exe" "%1"
I'm thinking the "%1" at the end of the Data section would be the likely culprit.  Either missing or incorrect.

There's probably an easy way to fix associations from NWC, I just don't know what it is.  Perhaps re-run the installer?

Reply #8
Something to do with the file system associations in the registry?  Perhaps the wrong/corrupted directive?
I'm thinking the "%1" at the end of the Data section would be the likely culprit.  Either missing or incorrect.
There's probably an easy way to fix associations from NWC, I just don't know what it is.  Perhaps re-run the installer?
I ran regedit and my entry for that looks just like yours.

Thanks for looking at it though.
Since 1998

Reply #9
I ran regedit and my entry for that looks just like yours.

Thanks for looking at it though.
Is there an override somewhere in HKEY_CURRENT_USER perhaps?

Reply #10
Just sent this to Beth at NoteWorthy support:
I've tried a number of websites, including scriptorium, however I've noticed other things: If I search through my file structure for something on my PC, it opens NWC but does not open the file. When my browser opens my downloads, the same thing happens. When I open NWC, choose file open and search for a file, it opens. I get the same behavior if I change browsers.

Think I discovered a big clue: If NWC is already open, NWC opens it. The workaround appears to be to double click on the downloaded NWC file to open NWC and double click on it a 2nd time to open it in NWC.
Since 1998

Reply #11
It's also worth trying re-installing the viewer since the viewer makes a number of changes because of deciding where to send a clicked file .

It's worth a shot even if you do not use the viewer. Doing this has cured problems for me before.

Rich.
Rich.

Reply #12
Good call Rich, I'd forgotten about that.