Skip to main content
Topic: Is this new version designed by Satan or what????? (Read 4131 times) previous topic - next topic

Is this new version designed by Satan or what?????

I recently purchased and downloaded Noteworthy Composer 2.  I used the earlier version on my old computer, and bought the new one for my laptop and it is DRIVING ME F***ING INSANE!!!!!  It gets stuck about every two measures  so I have to shut off the computer and restart it.  There are a hundred other defects but compared to this one they are minor.  As it is, they only heap fire on the frustration. The earlier version worked just fine but this one is THE SOFTWARE FROM HELL!!!! 

How can I get the previous version onto my new computer??

Re: Is this new version designed by Satan or what?????

Reply #1
Hm. I bought (again) the newest 2.75a version two days ago, installed it on my new laptop, and everything runs as smoothly as ever.

What do you mean by "getting stuck"? - when editing, when playing, when saving?

Have you opened Task-Manager and watched its performance tab (especially its CPU and Disk graphs) during these bad experiences with NWC? Maybe they help to find whether e.g. a virus scanner, or a hard disk at its limit makes NWC stumble ...

On the whole, NWC uses the most standard Windows input and output methods of any music editor I know; and AFAIK not much has changed from 1 to 2 there. I am quite convinced that falling back to version 1 will not help you - there's something else going on.

H.M.

Reply #2
Hm. I bought (again) the newest 2.75a version, installed it on my new laptop, and everything runs smoothly as ever.

What do you mean by "getting stuck"? - when editing, when playing, when saving?

Me:  While composing.  AND editing.  And saving.  And anything else there is to do.

Have you opened Task-Manager and watched its performance tab (especially its CPU and Disk graphs) during these bad experiences with NWC? Maybe they help to find whether e.g. a virus scanner, or a hard disk at its limit makes NWC stumble ...

Me:  When I get stuck, I can't do ANYTHING  except restart the computer.  We're talking STUCK stuck here.  Like, frozen.

On the whole, NWC uses the most standard Windows input and output methods of any music editor I know; and AFAIK not much has changed from 1 to 2 there. I am quite convinced that falling back to version 1 will not help you - there's something else going on.

Me:  Never had ANY trouble with NW1.  Other than a few minor issues which were relatively easy to deal with.  I'd give anything to get it back now.
H.M.

Reply #3
Well, then ...

First, you should have a backup copy of your installer around, or the original CD.
Second, you could use this webpage of NWC.
Third, maybe someone can give you a copy of his - I dont think many people still need their V1.

However, let me point out that NWC 1.75 and earlier do, to the best of my knowledge, not run on a 64-bit Windows; whereas laptops nowadays are only supplied with 64-bit processors and OSes. So you might have to install a virtual machine that runs an older Windows version for that version 1 NWC.

Still, and finally, I'd bet a complete license price of that version 1 that also then, there'll be problems running the software on the new laptop. There's something else amiss here ...

H.M.

Reply #4
Well, then ...

First, you should have a backup copy of your installer around, or the original CD.
Second, you could use this webpage of NWC.
Third, maybe someone can give you a copy of his - I dont think many people still need their V1.

However, let me point out that NWC 1.75 and earlier do, to the best of my knowledge, not run on a 64-bit Windows; whereas laptops nowadays are only supplied with 64-bit processors and OSes. So you might have to install a virtual machine that runs an older Windows version for that version 1 NWC.

Still, and finally, I'd bet a complete license price of that version 1 that also then, there'll be problems running the software on the new laptop. There's something else amiss here ...

H.M.

Me:  I don't have the original CD.  If I did, there wouldn't be a problem.  Unless there was.  I don't know anybody else who has it either.   How do I "use this webpage of NWC?" 

Reply #5
Hi RoZita
Welcome to the Forum.  I'm sorry you're having some issues. 

Are you running Windows 11 on your new computer?  I had no big problems with NWC 2.8 Beta 1 on my new Windows 11 desktop, other than figuring out how to copy the user tools and special fonts from the old hard drive to the new machine. 

Windows 11 itself is really ugly buggy and might be causing you some problems in running legacy (old) programmes.  I don't know if the laptop and table users have the same problems, but on my desktop, browsers and file explorer windows freeze too often, open emails that I'm drafting disappear, programmes lock up or close unexpectedly, copying and pasting sometimes pastes something from the clipboard that was not the last thing copied, etc.  I don't know if it's solely Win 11, the vendor loaded onto my machine with several antivirus programmes and they might be getting in the way.  Sometimes it helps to check Task Manager and close what you don't think you need.  Windows 11 also prioritizes the apps you're running; the ones you use less frequently go to sleep to save power - I forget what that function is called, but it can be disabled.

Windows 11's artificial intelligent tool (Windows button + C) suggests
If you’re having trouble running a legacy program on Windows 11, you can try the following steps:
  • Compatibility Mode:
    Find the EXE file of the older program. Right-click on the EXE file and open Properties. Move to the “Compatibility” tab, and enable the checkbox for “Run this program in compatibility mode for”. From the drop-down menu, select the Windows version for which the older program was developed.
  • Troubleshoot Compatibility:
    In the search box on the taskbar, type “Run programs made for previous versions of Windows” and select it in the results.
    Select Next, select the program you’re having trouble with, then select Next again.
    Select Troubleshoot program (or you can select Try recommended settings to try that).
    Select the problem you’re having and follow the process.
  • Disable Driver Signature Enforcement:
    If Windows 11 says that you are unable to run the program due to any driver-related issue, then you will have to disable the enforcement of the driver signature.
  • Virtual Machine:
    If none of these work, you could consider setting up a virtual machine running an older version of Windows where your software is known to work1.

It also says how to set up a virtual machine on Windows 11:
Sure, here’s a step-by-step guide on how to set up a virtual machine on Windows 11 using Hyper-V:
  • Enable Virtualization:
    Before you begin, make sure virtualization is enabled in your PC’s BIOS/UEFI settings1.
  • Open Hyper-V Manager:
    Press Start or hit the Windows key on your keyboard. In the Start menu, type “hyper-v manager”. Press the first result (best match) from the search results at the top.
  • Create a New Virtual Machine: When Hyper-V Manager opens, select your PC’s hostname from the column on the left. That opens the “Actions” panel on the right. From here, press New > Virtual Machine
  • New Virtual Machine Wizard:
    The “New Virtual Machine Wizard” will start. The first screen is a fundamental message letting you know what it’s for.
  • Name Your Virtual Machine: You’ll need to give your virtual machine a name that allows you to identify it easily.
  • Choose Storage Location: You’ll also need to choose where you’d like to store your virtual machine.
  • Specify VM Generation:
    Next, you’ll need to specify the generation of the VM.
  • Assign System Memory: Assign the amount of system memory (RAM) you want your virtual machine to use.  Remember, you can always increase or decrease this amount later.
  • If you’re still having trouble, there are several helpful videos available online that provide visual guides for this process.

I hope these ideas will help you get NWC running right for you.  !

Reply #6
<snip>
I don't know if it's solely Win 11, the vendor loaded onto my machine with several antivirus programmes and they might be getting in the way.

Hi David,
As an old IT pro, I advise you: Do NOT run multiple AV programs concurrently.  The resident portions and background scanners seriously interfere with each other and performance and reliability will go down the toilet.

If the vendor installed multiple AV softwares they should be kicked, HARD.

NB alternative scanners that do not have resident, always active scans are fine.  It's just multiple active scanners that are a problem.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
Hi RoZita,
I genuinely have no idea what's causing your problem, but I'm confident it isn't NWC itself.

That said, recent changes to my Win10 (64bit) system have had some transient disappointing impacts on my NWC installation.

Specifically, browser updates (I'm using Brave - Chromium based) seem to break my keyboard in NWC, then the next update fixes it again...

I suspect there is some kind of keyboard interrupt hook that traps keystrokes.  NWC is not the only program affected, but it is the most affected...  Or perhaps the keys hardest hit are the ones I use most often in NWC.
In particular some cursor keys and some number pad keys stop responding.

Currently I'm not having many problems in NWC, BUT the left arrow key is misbehaving in this edit window as I try to write this message.  <Ctrl+Left> is even worse.  It is also misbehaving in all the other software I regularly use.  I expect the next Brave update will either fix it again, or maybe make it worse again.  Note that if I turn off NumLock and use the numeric keypad for arrows they work just fine...

Of course, I only think it's the Brave updates...  It's entirely possible there's something else causing the problem and the Brave updates are just a red herring.  It may just as easily be the way Dell have implemented the keyboard driver (never buying another Dell - I knew better but stupidly went ahead anyway  >:(  )

A point worth noting is that NWC is a 32 bit program.  Microsoft have written 64 bit windoze versions to handle 32 bit software correctly so I don't think that's necessarily the issue, but David's suggestions are worth considering.
I have no experience with Win11 but my reading suggests that it is a serious backward step for most users as far as reliability and privacy (from microsoft) are concerned.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
I genuinely have no idea what's causing your problem, but I'm confident it isn't NWC itself.
So do I.
I never had any problem with NWC up to Win10.
I'm keeping at a distance from Win11 as long as I can...

Reply #9
Hi Lawrie
As an old IT pro, I advise you: Do NOT run multiple AV programs concurrently.  The resident portions and background scanners seriously interfere with each other and performance and reliability will go down the toilet.

I believe you.  There are so many programs running in the background it's hard to tell which are AV and which are other security features and which are just unnecessary nuisances .  Acronis Cyber Protect, Bit Defender, Windows Security, even Adobe Acrobat which Windows Companion tells me "does have features that protect your computer from malicious PDFs.  

Anyway, I turn them off when I can.  Thanks for the tip.

Reply #10
I'm keeping at a distance from Win11 as long as I can...
I have heard the expression "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer."  So I am becoming as familiar as possible with Windows 11. It is already becoming difficult to buy a new computer with Windows 10.