Skip to main content
Topic: Contacting Support (Read 4493 times) previous topic - next topic

Contacting Support

Has anyone had success in contacting support recently?

I've been a NWC user for many years. Last week I had to replace the computer I had it installed on. Now I can't reinstall without buying it again.

I have emailed Support but have not received a reply.

If there is anyone that could help me, it would be deeply appreciated. I have several songs in the works and need to work on them.

BJHALL1950

Re: Contacting Support

Reply #1
If you have the old computer or have a backup of the C drive, in the area where the program was installed (typically C:\Program Files (x86)\Noteworthy Software\ ) you will find a folder called setups.  In that folder you will find a setup program for nwc275.

Copy this program and use it to install on your new machine. If you also need to install the viewer, you can download and install this from the NoteWorthy web site.

Rich.

Reply #2
If you have the old computer or have a backup of the C drive, in the area where the program was installed (typically C:\Program Files (x86)\Noteworthy Software\ ) you will find a folder called setups.  In that folder you will find a setup program for nwc275.

Copy this program and use it to install on your new machine. If you also need to install the viewer, you can download and install this from the NoteWorthy web site.

I tried to install from the website and it wants me to pay $49. I just had to pay $1,500 for the new computer and my budget is kicked in the head since I am on limited income.

If I am able to somehow get the file from the old computer (which at this point is questionable) will I have to pay again?

Reply #3
<snip>
If I am able to somehow get the file from the old computer (which at this point is questionable) will I have to pay again?
No.  The installer from the old installation will just work for you.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Thank you for your assistance. I will try to recover from the old computer.

Reply #5
Thank you for your assistance. I will try to recover from the old computer.
No worries.

For what it's worth, I have a home network and I keep copies of my installers on my server...  Just in case.

Now I know not everyone is in that happy position, BUT, a Windows backup schedule to an external HDD isn't hard to set up, and USB hard drives aren't really that expensive anymore:
Amazon have 1TB flash drives from as little as $23 USD:
https://www.amazon.com/High-Speed-Portable-Compatible-Computer-Keychain/dp/B0BZH6Y4M1/ref=sr_1_17_sspa?keywords=usb+hard+drive+1tb&sr=8-17-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9idGY&psc=1

And 2TB drives for very little more - some are flash, some are "spinny" drives.  Cheap security IMHO.

BTW, I'm not endorsing that particular flash drive.  It's just an example I found with a very quick search.

Reply #6
Maybe six months ago I bought two 1 T Byte thumb drives from Amazon. I quickly discovered they were counterfeit when I tried to put lots of large video files on them. They had directory space for 1 T, but file space for much less. I did return them for full credit, didn't replace them, and have been a little hinky since. If I hadn't quickly exceeded the actual smaller capacity, I might not have noticed right away.

Reply #7
Yeah, that is a problem.  However, I'm sure there are reputable retailers in the States where such devices can be purchased for not much, if any, more.

Reply #8
I bought a 2 TB external hard disk for just under CDN$100 a week or so ago at one of the larger electronic stores in my area.  It connects by USB.

The vendor transferred (supposedly) all the files from my old computer to the new external drive.  From there I was able to copy the Noteworthy folders to the new machine, including the Noteworthy folders. 

The programme works okay on the new machine, although I cannot access user objects.  Not gonna worry about it tonight, though.

Reply #10
<snip>
The programme works okay on the new machine, although I cannot access user objects.  Not gonna worry about it tonight, though.
Hi David,
User plugins live in the directory specified in:
|Tools|Options|Folders (tab)| in the entry "Object Plugins"

Mine points to:
C:\ProgramData\Noteworthy Software\nwc2\UserPlugins

Though I've also found the actual files in that location PLUS this one:
C:\Users\(your login name)\AppData\Local\Noteworthy Software\nwc2\UserPlugins

Gotta confess I'm not certain which is the default as I'm pretty sure I fiddled with it a bit...  However, I suspect that it might be the latter location as that way different users on the system can have their own collection of objects installed.

Reply #11
Hi, I changed PC last August. The seller passed all the data from the old PC to the new one, including NWC, which worked out of the box like on the old one. But don't ask me how it was done!
Instead I'm interested in knowing this. I have the initial CD, ordered in June 2002. If I had to start over with this, would the various updates be available?
Thank you.
Lorenzo

Reply #12
I suspect only one update would be available but that would bring you up to date without the need for multiple updates.
Rich.

Reply #13
Thanks Richard,
that would certainly be the best solution.
Lorenzo

Reply #14
Correct me if I'm wrong, but 2002 would be V1.75 would it not?

I'm going to assume that the server has a database that can tell that you're entitled to the V2.x update.

Reply #15
Correct me if I'm wrong, but 2002 would be V1.75 would it not?
Sure, that's exactly the version you mentioned.
I hope I don't have to, but I'd also be willing to pay for the upgrade if needed (I think I've paid for two, over the years, but at a fraction of the cost).
Good day (it's raining here).
Lorenzo

Reply #16
Lawrie and Richard, thank you.
I accidentally loaded the objects today (Friday) - I think they were installed when I downloaded and installed 2.8 Beta 1.

Reply #17
I accidentally loaded the objects today (Friday) - I think they were installed when I downloaded and installed 2.8 Beta 1.

Hi David, installation of the 2.8 beta, AND I think 2.75 a2, and maybe a1, not sure about straight 2.75 will automagically install a starter set of objects.  The starter set are the only ones preloaded - the rest you have to explicitly install.

Reply #18

Hi David, installation of the 2.8 beta, AND I think 2.75 a2, and maybe a1, not sure about straight 2.75 will automagically install a starter set of objects.  The starter set are the only ones preloaded - the rest you have to explicitly install.
All versions of NWC 2.75 or later will include default objects when installed, but 2.75 a2 and 2.8 beta include a larger set. In either case, many of the objects in the forum have been updated since the releases, so people will want to select Tools > Manage Objects... and do an Online Synch following installation.

Once upon a time, I had created a dummy score which had a copy of all of the non-starter objects that I used, so that I could bootstrap all of the objects after a fresh install. But since I have copies of the files locally (and numerous backups), I haven't needed to do that.

Reply #19
And what a painless process it is.  It probably took all of 1.25 seconds to identify those that had updates.  All seven updates downloaded and installed in the blink of an eye.

Thanks Mike and Lawrie!

Reply #20
Hi,
I've recently updated the operating system on my PC to Windows 11. Since then I've been unable to get sound on the HDMI port to my TV; the picture comes down successfully; any ideas on what to do about it?
Peter Loring